• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alofasudden it wont run

82 1100g

Ok here is some history...

cleaned gas tank,dipped and replaced Orings on carbs,
    new intake Orings, valve adjust (all at about .05mm)
    new battery, new plugs and a few other things

Allright so after dipping and cleaning carbs and doing
    the electrolicis on the gas tank I went for about a 350
    mile ride. this was a one weekend ride.wile rideing i
    notice one or more cylinders cutting out and the bike dies
    and i had to get picked up.So when i get home i let the
    bike sit for a month or so,and then decited to do a valve
    job and found all but one way to tight.so i get them all at
    about .05mm and start it up and problem solved... or
    so it would seem.rode it for about 2 weeks all was fine.
    let my brother it and he's impressed.

now here is where it all goes wrong,I leave my brothers and
    get down the street and I start loosing cylinders again.
    I get home and notice that only #2 exaust is hot the
    others hardly even warn. now it wont fire at all

the only thing different between my riding and my brother
    is he says it was fast and got up and went, so he got in the
    throttle fairly deep ware as i did not the 2 weeks i was
    riding with no problems

the best i can figure is there is junk in the carbs again.
    maybe there is something that i'm missingor a few things to try.

thank you all in advance

I am betting along with you that youve picked up some junk from the tank in the carbs again. Even if you clean it, unfortunately, with the way todays pump gas likes water, if you dont treat the tank, it will likely start to scale with rust again. Clean the carbs again, and perhaps look to an inline filter, just make sure its designed to be used with gravity fed bikes. They are out there. And make sure that when you install it, it is in an upright possition. If this doesnt work, I would start to look toward a possible coil failure problem, or possibly the ignitor (if your bike has one)

Comment

yea heres the deal, I checked the pluges and #1 and 3 black #2 normal and #4 wet. I also ground every plug with cap and got good spark.
      as for the filter, my petcock filter is good. the last time before i cleaned tank and carbs with filter in place I pulled the drain screw only to find orange colord gas. So I dont realy beleive in those filters, but to each his own i guess. Ill probly put it back on though

Comment

Originally posted by ronnyferrell View Post
        yea heres the deal, I checked the pluges and #1 and 3 black #2 normal and #4 wet. I also ground every plug with cap and got good spark.
        as for the filter, my petcock filter is good. the last time before i cleaned tank and carbs with filter in place I pulled the drain screw only to find orange colord gas. So I dont realy beleive in those filters, but to each his own i guess. Ill probly put it back on though
        Well, it works like this:

Fuel, Air, Spark. These are the three things that you need for the bike to run. If you are dropping cylinders, they arent getting one of those three things. Its not a mechanical issue, as nothing mechanical, other than the carbs not opperating properly, would cause such a thing without alot of racket, and then youd know what was going on. Are your float levels set correctly in the carburetors? This is very important. Did you vaccum sync the carbs? Likely not the meat of the matter, but its also important. Where are your adjustment screws set? Clean the carbs, and we can start from page one. I had that same bike, and did quite a bit of tweaking to the carbs to get them just right, so i will gladdly lend you my experience with it...

Comment

fuel system problems start in the tank and go on from there.

get the tank clean!!! double or triple filter the fuel line. orange gas is bad mmm K

get the carbs all apart and clean them again.

will continue to happen until a new tank or sealiing kit like Kreem is used.
          SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Clean the carbs, seal the tank and run a gravity fed fuel filter. (5/16")
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnyferrell View Post
              82 1100g

the only thing different between my riding and my brother
              is he says it was fast and got up and went, so he got in the
              throttle fairly deep ware as i did not the 2 weeks i was
              riding with no problems

the best i can figure is there is junk in the carbs again.
              maybe there is something that i'm missingor a few things to try.

thank you all in advance
              I had this happen also. Fines go right thru the petcock filter and also the steel drain plug rusts out over time adding to problem. I replaced the drain plugs and installed a filter.

Fines settle in the carb bowls and get pulled into the carb only under hard throttle. Drain the bowls one at a time and flush until all fines are gone. A white aerosol paint cap works to see the fines. Use the prime setting to fill and flush each repeatedly. Took me 3 times.

Install a gravity filter at least until you get the tank fixed/coated. You would have been better off leaving it alone since you didn't plan on coating it. Bare steel rusts like mad with the alcohol gas available now.

Hopefully you won't have to rebuild the carbs again. But you might want to synchronize them once the bike runs decently.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. As for carb floats yes they are all withen spec. The reason why I did not coat the tank was just simply because i had heard bad things about tank coating. So I went with the bare metal approach, witch in hindsight might have did me in

And the air screws are all about 2 turns out with the exception of #4 I guess that I stripped it because it wont come out, so I dont know where that is at

Comment

Working...
                X