Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott Horner and Dyna Coils DC1-1

Bike: 1981 GS550L

As far as i can tell, both coils are dead. I get juice (~9.5v) all the way up to them, but nothing out the other end. Voltage drops when starter is pressed as expected (down to ~6.5v - That's normal right?). No spark on all Four plugs, nothing showing up on multimeter when touching inside boot to + and grounding - to head.

PO installed Dyna S ignition. I can't tell if it's installed correctly. to me, it doesn't look like it. But as stated above, i get juice up to Coils so i'm assuming it is.

I was looking through the old FAQ while the forums were down and found this:

DATE: September 26, 1998
    QUESTION: Ignition conversion info needed - 1979 GS1000S

I've got a '79 GS1000S with a buggered Automatic Timing Unit (bent shaft and worn out springs) and currently have point ignition. I want to convert to electronic. Is there a conversion kit that includes everthing so I don't need to buy a new ATU as it is expensive and hard to find second hand.
    RIDER: Ben Green
    REPLY: Scott HornerThe product(s) you are looking for are produced by Dynatek. The Dyna S is a self contained electronic ignition and can be used with your stock coils. My price for that unit is $89.95 pn# DS3-2. The other option is the Dyna 2000. This unit boasts a microprocessor which produces a "digital" rather than the standard "analog" signal, an adjustable rpm limiter, selectable ignition advance curves, a ignition retard function and a built in timing light. My price on this unit is $269.95 pn# DDK3-2. It is suggested to run the Dyna 2.2 ohm (pn# DC4-1) coils for maximum performance of the unit. If you were to purchase coils for the Dyna S you would need pn# DC1-1. The price of the coils are $84.95 for the pair. Good Luck!!

Now, i see that the post date is from 1998. 10 years ago. I've searched for "Scott Horner" but get nothing. All the DC1-1 posts are about getting new ones and I'm wondering if anyone still knows this Scott Horner fellow and/or is able to get a set of green coils for DC1-1 for ~$84.95? I see they are available for $120 at Z1 + $32 for cables. I'm just looking for a bargain. Any help appreciated.

Check the Dyna S by checking the voltage at the black and white wire. Make sure the magnet is facing away from the wire you are checking. You should have .8 to 1.2 volts.

The voltage you have at the coils is WAY too low. You either have a bad battery or you are losing gobs of volts through the electrical system.
    Do a search for coil mod and up that power to the coils. You should have at least 12 volts.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Check the Dyna S by checking the voltage at the black and white wire. Make sure the magnet is facing away from the wire you are checking. You should have .8 to 1.2 volts.

The voltage you have at the coils is WAY too low. You either have a bad battery or you are losing gobs of volts through the electrical system.
      Do a search for coil mod and up that power to the coils. You should have at least 12 volts.
      I figured 9.6v was low for a 12v system and really would have hated to replace both coils for nothing... but still think i might need to as the boots and cables are crusty.

So it sounds right that if i get 9.6v to the coil i would get 0v out the other end? Does the coil needs at least x volts to even generate a signal?

I rested it and was again getting 9.6v until i disconnected my rear light assembly and turned of my lights. Now i get 11.5-12v where i was previously getting 9.6v. Still nothing past the coils except the occaisional .01-.03v if the cable is tweaked just right. (need new coils for sure as these are the stock, none change-able ones)

The white cable is a flat 0. the red is 12-13v and the black is 1.07v

I have a slight feeling that the PO was noob'r than i am - and i am a noob. After looking over the bike for the last few days, there appear to be all sorts of things that just don't look quite right.

Can anyone confirm for me that this Dyna S is set up correctly? I can't find a pic/diagram anywhere. That bolt is in there realllly tight. Logically, it doesn't make sense as there are the arms with the springs there and it stops them from opening at all. Also, the silver washer looks like it's new, but doesn't slide off. Any ideas? how boned am i?

With DS installed:

Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2008, 10:48 PM. Reason: add second picture.

Comment

How about $79.99

I just got these; used but look nearly new. Included the wires.

keep checking e-bay

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

!blast!

nice find

thanks for the heads up on ebay.

Comment

The rotor on the Dyna S is installed wrong! The washer goes on the outside and the notches on the rotor go in the mechanical advance. You won't get spark with the rotors magnet being this far off from the pickup coils on the Dyna S.
            The 1 volt on the black wire is good. Turn the rotor to the other side and then check the white wire. The magnet can not be near the coil to get a correct reading. You can see the magnet. It looks like a tiny circle on the outside of the rotor.
            Last edited by chef1366; 10-16-2008, 12:56 AM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Did you get this???

Comment

i'm pretty sure i understood. Because last night, I GOT COMBUSTION! well, maybe 1.5 cylinders trying to fire, with lots of help for starting fluid, and a jump from my car (not running) I heard what sounded like one of the cylinders attempting to fire, agonzingly slow, and then i got a few back fires. Scared the crap out of the friend i was working with. Ha.

So i removed the aluminum washer, properly set up the ignition (i'll take another pic later to confirm with you guys.

To get the reading on the white cable, i should have the Dyna S NOT attached to the bike? This part confuses me and i still am getting 0's on the white with everything installed. and i'm 99% positive my 1-4 cylinders aren't the ones trying to fire.

I will be purchasing new coils in a few weeks as soon as i have the spare change. (I'm getting married in 2 weeks and the soon-to-be isn't exactly "approving" this motorcycle endeavor. But she'll come around eventually : ) )

Thanks for all your help, i'll update the thread after i do the Coil Relay Mod and get the new coils installed.

Comment

This is info on Scott Horner, http://www.manta.com/coms2/dnbcompany_jls1hn . Doubtful you can still buy them for that price ten years later. Scott was one of the most knowledgeable people ever to grace this site. He hasn't posted here in years, not since the old Q&A. It used to be you sent a question to the administrators, they posted it, then you waited for an answer. It sometimes took weeks to get a response. There might have been a dozen or so regulars back then. Dpep and I are about the only carryovers from that time other than the administrators.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

The magnet from the rotor (the round part on the end of the crank)cannot be near the coil from the white wire while testing for voltage. Take the rotor off if you are unsure about the postion but leave the Dyna S on the bike.

The little circle on the rotor needs to be facing to the left with the timing marks showing the 1&4.
                    Last edited by chef1366; 10-18-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X