850 cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

850 cam timing

Help, I had a perfectly good running GS850 with a very slight head leak. I replaced the gasket, and can't seem to get the timing right.
    By the book, I ligned up the T on the timing mark, By the book, I set the timing arrow on the exhaust cam at gasket height. By the book, I counted 20 pins to the intake cam timing mark. Here is what it does. It starts right up, pops slightly through the carbs, rides well for the first 20 feet, and then flats out!! Engine will not go over 3000 rpm. It feels like carbs have flooded out. ( I did pull, clean and inspect them, all seems well.) Does any one have a suggestion??

Originally posted by fng1 View Post
    Help, I had a perfectly good running GS850 with a very slight head leak. I replaced the gasket, and can't seem to get the timing right.
    By the book, I ligned up the T on the timing mark, By the book, I set the timing arrow on the exhaust cam at gasket height. By the book, I counted 20 pins to the intake cam timing mark. Here is what it does. It starts right up, pops slightly through the carbs, rides well for the first 20 feet, and then flats out!! Engine will not go over 3000 rpm. It feels like carbs have flooded out. ( I did pull, clean and inspect them, all seems well.) Does any one have a suggestion??
    You seem to have left out a step.1. T mark #1/4 cyl (Cam chain tensioner removed ?)at ignition,2.#1 arrow on exhaust cam lined up with gasket surface,3.Pull up slack on chain without changing T mark 4. NOW 20 pins from #2 arrow on exhaust cam to #3 arrow on intake cam, if I am right this engine will not make a complete revolution with out parts hitting if the cam timing is off. install idler at ceter top of cam chain run, Use manual to reinstall cam chain tensioner and adjust. turn over by hand at ignition just to make sure everything clears.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, We'll give it a shot.

Comment

You can check the timing by setting 1/4 to the TDC mark:

With the valve cover off, the notches in the ends of the cams will now be parallel to the gasket surface and will either be pointing straight at each other or 180 degrees away from each other (either is OK). If you're a tooth off, it will be pretty obvious.

I think your problem is very likely something else, but might as well check timing again if you're not sure.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X