78 GS1000E carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000E carb question

I need to know a good starting point for the 2 screws (mixture/idle), this bike runs great after coming off idle to redline, but when I pull up to a stop it will idle at 2500 to 3000 rpm for a few seconds then die unless I keep reving it not to mention the low speed hesitation off idle, if I adjust the big center screw to keep it running it will only idle at 4000+, It idles smooth and steady at an acceptable rpm while on choke.

Sounds like the "two screws" are set about right.

Sounds more like your problem is an intake leak. One of the more notorious locations is the o-rings between the intake manifold and the head. Replacements are available from cycleorings.com.

If your bike is basically stock (stock airbox and exhast), start about 3/4 turn out on the fuel screw (the lower one) and 1.5 to 2 turns on the air screw (the upper one). If you have pods and/or a pipe, start with a full turn on the fuel screws.

Last edited by Steve; 10-13-2008, 07:03 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Sounds like the "two screws" are set about right.

Sounds more like your problem is an intake leak. One of the more notorious locations is the o-rings between the intake manifold and the head. Replacements are available from cycleorings.com.

If your bike is basically stock (stock airbox and exhast), start about 3/4 turn out on the fuel screw (the lower one) and 1.5 to 2 turns on the air screw (the upper one). If you have pods and/or a pipe, start with a full turn on the fuel screws.

Just got thru with a head refurbishment,new rings with a good honing,new carb boots and orings, this motor is tight, stock airbox setup

Comment

That is classic air leak symptoms but if you've got those bases covered I reckon you're in to a carb strip / clean and rebuild. Even if your idle settings are quite a bit out you should still get an idle with those settings, just a bit rough maybe. Possibly blocked pilot jets (or heavily varnished).

Or, and this is a bit clutching at straws, carbs are way out of synch. Or possibly a sticking advance / retard mechanism on your timing?
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
        X