Cylinder head cover leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder head cover leak

Welcome back all. I need a little help. My cylinder head cover is starting to spit out a little oil. Do I just have to take it apart and replace the gasket or is this a sign of some other problem??

Also, Once I take the cover off, does anyone recommend a little preventative maintenance while I'm at it? My 1981 GS850G has been running great all summer and still is. I'm actually riding it more now since I totaled my Honda ('96 Accord) one month ago (today).

Thanks,
    Ed

You'll need to pull the cover and replace the gasket, and the half moon plugs. They get hard with age/heat, and thats usually where they weep oil. Gasket and half moon plugs are available on the cheap and fast thru

www.Z1Enterprises.com

While you're in there, check your valve clearances too...

Comment

Make sure the valve cover is not cracked, of course, clean the surfaces thoroughly, and replace with a lifetime silicone RealGasket.

Make sure you order the breather cover gasket as well, and PAY ATTENTION to the torque values given. It's nearly impossible (and horrifically expensive) to find a torque wrench that reads that low, but keep in mind 15 inch-pounds is only 1.25 foot-pounds.

Also, make sure your tach cable fitting is not the real source of the leak:

And finally, check your valve clearances while you're in there. They're due every 4,000 miles:
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

With a Realgasket, it's often better to keep the old half-moon plugs -- the Realgasket isn't hard enough to squish new half-moons into place, and this can make them leak.

You can pop the old half-moons out and put a slight whiff of case sealer (NOT silicone) on the round parts to make sure they're sealing.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

TheCafeKid and Brian, Thanks. As soon as the weather gets a little worse (so I have to drive the car) I'll get wrenching. I'm hoping that isn't for awhile though. Unless, I can find a weekend when the "honey-do" list is small and the fallen leaves are not keeping me busy.

Brian, also, thanks for the temporary site.

Ed

Comment

Working...
          X