Alignment issue almost solved!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alignment issue almost solved!

I've had a bit of an issue for the past several months with the alignment of my rear wheel. I've been leaning to the left while riding. At first I thought this was normal, but now I can see that it isn't. After doing a little bit of investigating, I feel that I may be missing a spacer or a bearing. I have taken the rear wheel off a couple times in the past year, but I have kept track of all the parts, and a part as big as a spacer would've been noticed. I admit when I'm wrong, but I have no idea where it could've gone.

My only reference point is a mediocre graphic in the Clymer's, so I took a few pictures to see if anyone can figure this out. I suspect the one I'm missing is the spacer between the right hand adjustment bracket (?) and the caliper mount, but you be the judge. I can't seem to get the pictures any bigger on here, so PM me to see a larger picture.

You may want to have someone in the know take a look. There is a spacer that fits inside the tire as well.

Comment

A few more pictures

Hi,

Have you compared what you've got with a parts fiche?

Then check out Mr. Matchless' Motorcycle Wheel Alignment guide here:

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.

I've got a few pictures of my rear wheel spacers and such on the Rear Wheel Removal guide on my website. I don't know how similar the setup would be, since mine's a shafty.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I have the same illustration in my Clymer's, but last time I checked the picture with the wheel, I couldn't tell some of the parts apart. The one that I have is slightly different than the fiche. I took some more pictures.

Comment

I dont see anything missing on the outboard side, but there are inner spacers on some of the bikes too. Better still, have you checked that your chain adjusters have your axle equaldistance on both sides of the bike? This will cause an alignment issue as well, and to me sounds more like your problem. Missing spacers on this bike, and it simply wont go back together right at all.

Comment

I did the string trick recently, and have been fiddling with the alignment since before this summer. Since then it's never felt quite right. The marks on the adjuster are inaccurate anyway, so I don't rely on them. I am an amateur at this, so I only really do what I'm told.

Comment

There is an inner spacer and the only way that I know of to determine if it's there or not is to disassemble it - take the rear wheel off.

You are right, the markings on the swingarm are worthless, and I don't like the string trick. I remove the chainguard and hold a yardstick against the rear tire. The yardstick should run exactly parallel to the chain.

Comment

You may have one of the spacers in backwards ? one has a lip that fits into the wheel ?????? Check the swingarm bearings...

Comment

To obtain correct rear wheel alignment measure on both sides of the bike from the swing arm pivot to the rear axle and both measurements should be the same. And everything will be OK unless you have a bent frame.

Comment

I'll have to try measuring from the swingarm pivot, but measuring things like that has been difficult in the past because I only have a tape measure. I'm assuming the spacer's not in backwards because I matched it up with the illustration.

I've seen a lot of bikes with the chain adjuster screws out most of the way, but mine are in most of the way. Not sure how that came about.

Comment

That sprocket side spacer looks wrong. There's usually not that much of it exposed. It should slide into the sprocket carrier.

Comment

Here is the sequence for an '82 Katana or an '83 1100E. From left to right the sequence should be:

1. Left side of swingarm including chain adjuster.
                        2. Sprocket spacer which looks sort of like a spool of thread, thicker on the ends and thinner in the middle. I'd estimate the spacer to be 1 to 1 and 1/4 inches long.
                        3. Sprocket carrier.
                        4. Spacer with a cone shaped end, fits inside of sprocket carrier.
                        5. Wheel bearing.
                        6. Spacer between wheel bearings.
                        7. Wheel bearing.
                        8. Spacer with dust seal on one end (dust seal goes toward bearing).
                        9. Brake caliper assembly.
                        10. Spacer, looks like a thick washer, approx. 1/2 inch thick.
                        11. Right side of swingarm including chain adjuster.

However, looking at the parts breakdown for your bike it looks like there is just one external spacer so your setup may be different than mine.

Good Luck,
                        Joe
                        Last edited by Joe Nardy; 10-17-2008, 11:24 PM.
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                        X