Crank roller bearing upgrade 4 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank roller bearing upgrade 4 450

I was looking 4 a little more insurance on the bottom end, so does anyone have a clue as how to go about fitting rollers to a 450 crank

Originally posted by 450FREAK View Post
    I was looking 4 a little more insurance on the bottom end, so does anyone have a clue as how to go about fitting rollers to a 450 crank
    Get a 550.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Why

WHY WOULD I DO THAT. y not get a gsxr600,750,1000 and be done with the old stuff

Comment

WHY WOULD I DO THAT. y not get a gsxr600,750,1000 and be done with the old stuff
        GSXR 600/750/1000 have plain bearing cranks so they won't do. You need rollers remember?
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

thats not wat i meant but thank you.

Comment

OK, you have my permission.

Comment

Wow u having a bad day or something, if i wanted sarcastic remarks i would just talk to the wife. lol

Comment

Dude, its not a possible swap. the cranks are two different designs. One rides on shell bearings (yours) one rides on roller bearings (the 8v 550, 8v 750, all 850s, 1000s, and 1100s) the cases are set up differently, its just not something you can pull and replace.

Comment

thanks, just curious if i had the tolerances to machine in rollers

Comment

Wow u having a bad day or something,
                    Having a wonderful day. You?

Comment

u play poker. i got a site for talking trash

Comment

Whatever happened to English?

u

y

I guess too many people are too accustomed to texting and using all those unreadable 'shortcuts'.
                        For the rest of us, please use something that is more readable.

Thanks.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like Grandpa, and I haven't even met the man.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

u play poker. i got a site for talking trash
                          So go there.

Comment

apparently this was a thread to pick on a newer member. I thought this site had all good, respectfull people but I was wrong. I found two bad apples in the bunch. Just asking a question, not looking for attitude. Is that clearly writen, or do i need proper punctuation as well? How about the two of you leave me alone if you have nothing helpfull to say.

Comment

Lighten up a little would ya? Sheesh.

Now then: I've recently had occasion to rummage in the innards of a GS500 (plain bearing, slightly bigger brother of your GS450 engine) and a GS850 (roller bearing). Both engines are still running perfectly well after many thousands of hard miles, so I must have done something right.

Thinking through the many differences between the cases, the oiling systems, the crankshafts, etc. I don't see a way to change a plain bearing case to rollers or vice-versa.

And, in fact, plain bearings have been proven to be far superior to roller bearings. Millions more cars and motorcycles have been made with plain bearing cranks than roller bearing.

Their only weakness is that plain bearings must have a supply of clean pressurized oil. Rollers can get by with some haphazard splash lubrication.

In other words, I think the problem with plain bearing GS engines lies with the oiling system, not the type of bearings.

I'm not certain what the main problem is exactly, but I suspect that their oiling systems are more prone to clogging and/or starvation than they should be. Better filtration, a higher-capacity oil pump, a higher-capacity oil pan, or perhaps a lower or relocated oil pickup might be worth pursuing.

Some of the oil passages in a GS twin are tiny, and there are some very small oil jets that could easily be clogged by a speck of lint. The oiling systems are also very vulnerable if the oil level gets low.

I also wonder if the oil pump in these engines is marginal -- it's pretty much identical to the pump used in the roller bearing engines (which use little to no oil pressure) and the oil pressure is generated by the restrictions created by the oil jets.

Another thought I had was fitting an oil level sight glass instead of relying on the dip stick. Maybe an old-fashioned clear tube between two fittings, or some way of eyeballing the oil level would encourage owners to keep closer tabs on the oil level. Both of the destroyed GS500 engines we rebuilt came with stories that began "The oil got a little low..."
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X