Carb sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb sync

I just got a older motion pro from a gentleman that had a 2 cyl. bike. He only had hoses on 2 of the 4 tubes. 1 hose is 5 foot long the second is 6 foot long. How long are the hoses suppose to be and do I need hose restrictors in them? There were none in them now. I also need the adapters to hook them up is this something I can make or should I try and buy some?

Is this the mercury type? If yes you need the restrictors.
    The adapters are for sale. Check Denniskirk.com
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

yes it is the mercury type

Comment

The hoses need to be long enough to reach from the tool to the bike. I don't think the actual length really matters.

Restrictors are nice, but not always necessary. What is the fluid in the tool? If it's mercury, the need for restrictors is minimized because the weight of the mercury does its own damping.

You can get a set of adapters from Z1 Enterprises for under $12. If you tried to make your own, you would certainly put at least that much into material and effort.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve I'll order the adapters. Yes it is mercury.

Comment

Steves right the length of the tube doesnt matter.
            Watch the first time you use it, if the sync is way out you could suck the Hg into the head.
            Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiGS View Post
              Steves right the length of the tube doesnt matter.
              Yeah, it's my opinion that the tube length does not matter, but a guy I have been working with for the last four weeks says that he was told that all the tubes had to be exactly the same length. Personally, I don't see why, maybe someone can explain that to me.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Yeah, it's my opinion that the tube length does not matter, but a guy I have been working with for the last four weeks says that he was told that all the tubes had to be exactly the same length. Personally, I don't see why, maybe someone can explain that to me.
                I built a manometer a while back and assumed the length would have to be the same, but I asked one of the physics lecturers here at work and he said the length wasnt important. He did explain it in physic talk but the gist is you are measuring a pressure not a length or volume. Once the air is extracted the pressure is the same no matter how long the tube is. The only difference will be the time taken to pull a vacuum. Assuming the tubes are quite small diameters then the time diff would be quite small.
                Cheers

Comment

Everyone knows length doesn't matter
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ok I Think I understand how to sync the carbs. but, can I adjust the idle with the motion pro to get the best idle before I do the sync.

Comment

Originally posted by Black 550 L View Post
                      ... can I adjust the idle with the motion pro to get the best idle before I do the sync.
                      No.

Well, not really. If the sync is way off, it won't idle worth a hoot. Your best bet is to do a bench sync first, if you already have the carbs off. That is a process that merely sets the sync visually, by looking at the sliver of light coming through the carb throat. If you are lucky (or just good), you will be close enough that only minor tweaking might be necessary when you connect the vacuum gauges.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                      X