Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch tattle/knocking

Great to see the Board up again!

I have a '83 GS1100ES that has a pronounced rattle but more like a knock on the clutch side, especially when it warms up. When I pull in the clutch lever, it doesn't completly disappear.

I have very little mechanical history on the engine so not certain if anyone got into it to do anything to cause this.

Does this sound like a change to the clutch discs and springs is in order?

It's Doomed..... You must part with the bike... I will be up to get that thing out of your way.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercaholic View Post
      Great to see the Board up again!

I have a '83 GS1100ES that has a pronounced rattle but more like a knock on the clutch side, especially when it warms up. When I pull in the clutch lever, it doesn't completly disappear.

I have very little mechanical history on the engine so not certain if anyone got into it to do anything to cause this.

Does this sound like a change to the clutch discs and springs is in order?
      This is a common issue with the large displacement GS bikes. Clutch rattle, from what I understand is usually solved by replacing the clutch basket with a welded, balanced basket, and a heavier duty clutch hub nut. You can try to go in and tighten the stock nut, and it may reduce the rattle for a while, and yeah, while youre in there check your plates for spec, usually they are not at fault, and replace your clutch springs. You can send your basket, provided its in good shape, to APE to have it welded and balanced for 299 bucks. Part of the reason, i suspect, of this problem, was Suzuki's choice in using an angled cut on the clutch drive vs a straight cut like Kawasaki chose. You can actually change that basket to have a straight cut gear, but will have to change the gear on the crank too i do believe.

Comment

Start with the clutch hub nut. If it is tight, call me at 714-356-7845 & I will walk you through some other things to check. Ray.

Comment

Working...
        X