Please need help filling fork oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please need help filling fork oil

Just looking drain fork oil and top it off, I'm going on a long trip (end of season) and will not rebuild until next year, dont have a manual right now, can anyone help with draining the fork oil and filling it up, on a 1982 gs1100e, yes it leaks and is almost dry, need to get through a month of driving and a long upcoming trip. next year progressive springs and fork overhall--any help is appreciated!!!

You can download a shop manual here:

It is on the right side at the top.

Comment

Oh, and save that link...... Consider it one of the books of the GS Bible.

Comment

AWESOME link thank you, however it doesnt have the shop manual, so I have no idea where to drain and fill---learning every day, can fix any car, bikes however need a special touch.

Comment

You can remove the antidive to drain but it is easier if you just remove the forks, pull the caps, & turn them upside down. Each fork holds 8.31 oz. of fork oil. Hope this helps. Ray.

Comment

looking to drain and fill without a major project is that possible.

Comment

Should be a drain screw in the bottom of the leg... You should be able to get the caps off whilst they are fitted or by loosening the bar mounts & moving the bars out the way.

Put the required amount back in.

It would be better to do a proper job though... it doesn't take more than an hour or two...

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
                AWESOME link thank you, however it doesnt have the shop manual, so I have no idea where to drain and fill---learning every day, can fix any car, bikes however need a special touch.
                Sorry man, I guess that was the owner's manual..

Note to self: Pay attention, damnit!!

Comment

just add some oil for now, clean in the spring.
                  GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                  X