base gasket again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

base gasket again

Well I have to re-do my base gasket again because even after 2 re-torques, it is still leaking some where in the middle of the finned area around the cam chain. So this time I have a plan. Not only did I buy another OEM gasket, but I also bought some Suzuki Bond gasket maker. Hopefully this will put a stop to my oil leaks.

Anyway, Do I have to drain the oil to remove the top end?

Thanks, and it's great to have GSR back again,
    Scott

Not knowing the bike you've got.....

No you don't have to drain the oil as oil isn't stored in the "jug" or head, BUT you WILL want to change the oil after the procedure to eliminate all the gasket scrapings that accidently fall into the bottom.

Also consider that the cam chain falls into the bottom and then you'll need to fish it out. You may as well drain it out and replace it anyway.

When I did my base gasket, I drained the oil for the procedure, bought the cheapest oil I could find. Ran it for about 10-15 minutes (I used moly rebuild grease on reassembly), drained it, changed the oil filter, and then refilled with Rowtella with a new filter installed. I figured the peace of mind was worth the extra oil change.

Comment

This is on an 81 GS850G. Sorry I didn't put that info in there.

Comment

I use speaker wire and loop it through the cam chain. Drop it right in so the crank does not move when you put the jugs back on.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

if your gonna use the stock gasket then use Gas-ca-cinch on all 4 surfaces http://www.gasgacinch.com/

if your not going to (possible increase in compression) then just use ThreeBond 1194

Comment

If you have a magnet tool then just let the cam chain drop and get it out later. Much easier that way IMO.

Comment

Working...
            X