wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont start

I have an 82 gs550L that I bought a few months ago. It did not run when I bought it. I have replaced the spark plugs, battery, starter relay, cleaned the carbs several times, replaced the intake pipes that go from the carbs to the motor because the rubbers were completely detached from the flanges, did a compression test(120psi), and still it will not start. It cranks and cranks good and strong, and after trying for a bit I pull the plugs and they are bone dry. They should be wet. So my thought is that Im not getting gas to the motor because of vacuum. everything looks tight to me. The pilot jets are CLEAN. I have pulled the carbs apart several times. It will turn over on carb cleaner. I have rigged up a funnel on the end of the gas line as a gas tank because the one that came on the bike was rusted out. This has officially gone above my pay grade. Any thoughts?

Originally posted by raider View Post
    I have ... cleaned the carbs several times, ...

Any thoughts?
    Just one. Clean the carbs. Properly. Once.

Sorry to sound crude, but too many people say they "clean the carbs", even "several times", when all they do is spray whatever they can see with liberal amounts of spray cleaner. This is not enough, as you will see in the link to the carb cleaning series above. The proper way is to totally dismantle the carbs and dip them (individually), probably overnight, in Berryman's Carb Cleaner Dip, which should be available at better auto parts stores in your area. Get the gallon-can size with the parts basket, cost is about $25. Since you will need to take the carb apart completely, you will need new o-rings when you put them back together. You can get them at Cycle O-rings. The owner there is a member of this forum and has put together a good product at a price that simply can't be beat. You say you have already replaced the intake tubes. Did you also replace the o-rings that seal them to the cylinder head? If not, you can get new ones from Cycle O-rings.

By the way, what is your area? You can edit your location and other details by clicking on the "User CP" link in the upper-left corner of the forum window. If you add your bike information to your signature, we will be able to see what you ride and where you are without you having to remember to add it to every question.

Just one more thought ...
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Start at the begining.

You've checked the compression. You've checked the engine is timed correctly. You've checked that its firing correctly. You've check that fuel is getting to the float bowls. You've checked the spark plug and found no fuel.

Does sound like you still have blocked jets in the carbs. Have you followed the carb procedure as per the letter? If not then thats likely why she won't run. Sorry.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi Mr. raider,

Please click here to receive your mega-welcome, chock full of recommendations, suggestions, tips, and an extensive online vendor list. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website for lots of GS lovin' (manuals, illustrated maintenance guides, etc). Thanks for joining us.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi Raider. Before doing any work on the carbs, try first turning the petcock to prime for about 30 seconds then turn back to the normal position, then put on full choke and try to start her up. If that fails, try blowing into each of the two carb breather pipes a couple of times. Pull on the choke again and try the starter. Some of the other guys are probably thinking "oh! not again" as I`ve posted this tip a few times, but its helped get a lot of bikes going too !. My GS 750`s won`t start without a "blow job" if they`ve been stood a while. Worth a try !.
          "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
          1978 GS750
          1979 GS750 chop
          1979 GS550
          2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
          2000 Enfield Bullet 500
          1992 XV750 Virago
          2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

To blow or not to blow.... that is the question

Originally posted by tomo View Post
            Hi Raider. Before doing any work on the carbs, try first turning the petcock to prime for about 30 seconds then turn back to the normal position, then put on full choke and try to start her up. If that fails, try blowing into each of the two carb breather pipes a couple of times. Pull on the choke again and try the starter. Some of the other guys are probably thinking "oh! not again" as I`ve posted this tip a few times, but its helped get a lot of bikes going too !. My GS 750`s won`t start without a "blow job" if they`ve been stood a while. Worth a try !.
            Had to 'suck' my GS1000 when I first got it. No fuel coming down the pipes even on prime. Turned out to be a faulty fuel tap.

Suzuki mad

Comment

I have followed that carb cleaning series almost fully. The only thing I did not do is take the carbs off the bank and dip them. I pulled all of the tops of the carbs, slides, float bowls, floats, jets, needle valves, etc. and cleaned everything. When I first got the bike the needle valves were stuck open, so the fuel would pour out of the breathers. so I got everything moving freely on those, reset the float heights. It stopped overflowing and now the float bowls hold fuel. As for priming the carbs, I have pulled the original tank off because it was rusted through. I have a sportster tank Im going to put on once I get it running. Right now I have a funnel hooked up to the gas line as a small temporary tank just to try and get it going. I would think that having the funnel on it would do the same thing as putting the petcock on prime because I have no vacuum operated petcock, just a straight line into the float bowls like an on or off petcock. I know for sure there is no obstructions from the float bowl through the pilot jet circuit. I have cleaned all four pilot jets, the tube they are in, the crossover from the main jet and the main jet.

Comment

Originally posted by raider View Post
                I have followed that carb cleaning series almost fully. The only thing I did not do is take the carbs off the bank and dip them.
                If you didn't dip 'em, them they ain't clean. Everything else you do will be an exercise in futility...

As Steve said before, "... Clean the carbs. Properly. Once."

Mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Its ALIVE!!!!!!!! I tried blowing through the breather pipes and as soon as I hit the start button she roared to life!!!! Now I can start rebuilding. Thanks a lot guys. Much appreciated.

Comment

Hi Mr. raider,

If you're going to put off cleaning the carbs, at least use some Sea Foam in the gas to give your carbs a fighting chance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

That breather pipe trick has nearly always worked for me. First shown it by an old biker buddy many years ago after I rebuilt my 750. The bike still will not start without it, but has always run great once its going. Several thorough carb strip & cleans since have made no difference, so I just accept it now as part of my starting procedure if the bikes been stood a couple of times. Had to get used to a bit of p..s taking at rallies, but have surprised a lot of people by getting their bikes going after they`ve spent ages cranking em over and checking electrics, carbs etc.
                      1978 GS750
                      1979 GS750 chop
                      1979 GS550
                      2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                      2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                      1992 XV750 Virago
                      2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

That breather pipe trick has nearly always worked for me. First shown it by an old biker buddy many years ago after I rebuilt my 750. The bike still will not start without it, but has always run great once its going. Several thorough carb strip & cleans since have made no difference, so I just accept it now as part of my starting procedure if the bikes been stood a couple of times. Had to get used to a bit of p..s taking at rallies, but have surprised a lot of people by getting their bikes going after they`ve spent ages cranking em over and checking electrics, carbs etc.
                        Now the million dollar question - why? What happens when one blows into the breathers? Does it mean the floats are sticking or the float level is out? Could there be an air bubble trapped somewhere? Does this happen simultaneously to all 4 carbs? there must be a logical explanation. Anyone?

Comment

So this is something I may have to do all the time? I would like to figure out the anwser to this milion dollar question. Hopefully I dont have to.

Comment

Don`t know why it works, my best guess is that it force primes the carbs. It`s worked on my old CX500 and a mate`s CB750 too. Although I`ve had the carbs stripped and cleaned as best as I could, I`ve still had to blow start the bike !. However, I did`nt know about "cycle O rings" at that time, maybe replacing all the rubber parts may help ?. But at the end of the day, the bike starts first time this way and runs well, which is what counts.
                            1978 GS750
                            1979 GS750 chop
                            1979 GS550
                            2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
                            2000 Enfield Bullet 500
                            1992 XV750 Virago
                            2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Don`t know why it works, my best guess is that it force primes the carbs. It`s worked on my old CX500 and a mate`s CB750 too. Although I`ve had the carbs stripped and cleaned as best as I could, I`ve still had to blow start the bike !. However, I did`nt know about "cycle O rings" at that time, maybe replacing all the rubber parts may help ?. But at the end of the day, the bike starts first time this way and runs well, which is what counts.
                              Please don't get me wrong on this. If that remedy is works on various bikes it must point to something wrong in the carbs and seeing Mr Suzuki did not design them to work that way it would be very interesting to know what is causing it and will also help solve many similar issues.
                              Just a question - Do those bikes have an inline fuel filter fitted?

Comment

Working...
                              X