1100E stock sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100E stock sprockets

Curious as to what the stock sprocket's (front and rear) tooth count and chain link count are for the '83 GS1100E models? I gave up my shop manual to TheCafeKid when he bought my '83 1100ES, thinking I would never return to the "dark" side, so I am looking for an official answer.
    When I had the ES it averaged 46mpg and my new E so far gets 41mpg.
    It runs great and has all the same gut wrenching power, maybe more?...but maybe notice a little higher rpm at cruising speeds....so.....?
    thanks

Stock gearing is 15/42. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
      Curious as to what the stock sprocket's (front and rear) tooth count and chain link count are for the '83 GS1100E models? I gave up my shop manual to TheCafeKid when he bought my '83 1100ES, thinking I would never return to the "dark" side, so I am looking for an official answer.
      When I had the ES it averaged 46mpg and my new E so far gets 41mpg.
      It runs great and has all the same gut wrenching power, maybe more?...but maybe notice a little higher rpm at cruising speeds....so.....?
      thanks
      Steve, just so you know, part of the reason you were getting such tremendous mileage out of the ES is because the pilot circuit was horribly lean. The adjustment screws were only .75 turns out. On the average, they are usually 2 to 2.5 turns out, thus richening the mixture and slightly hampering your fuel economy. I have adjusted this, and since, my fuel economy has dropped to about what you're getting. Still nothing to sneeze at. A correction for this, while still retaining your power, is to ditch the stock 630 gearing, use a 530 set up. Here is what you will need:

18t front sprocket 530 type
      48t rear sprocket 530 type
      114 link 530 type oring/xw ring chain
      6mm spacer to replace the plate the original front sprocket had
      master link (either rivet type or clip type, clip type is slightly less dependable but much simpler to change. If you use a clip type, put a dab of super clue on the clip where it contacts the chain plate, it will help hold it on but not make it impossible to remove)

This will effectively reduce your cruising RPM at 70mph from 4500rpm to around 4300. Fuel economy restored, no loss of power, especially since the 530 chain is less rotation mass for the motor to turn, gaining you MORE HP getting to the ground.

Comment

Stock 15T/42T 630 converts clsest to 17T/48T 530

Josh,
        Check out the attached spreadsheet.

It show the gear ratio and the % change from the stock 630 gearing.

You will notice that the 17T/48T is closest to stock (0.8%). Go 18T/48T if you want to improve gas mileage from stock with a 4.8% gearing change.
        16T/48T improves accelleration by 7.1%.

As suggested by Ray, the 48T gear is a good choice so you can move either direction from stock by swapping out the front to 18T or 16T depending upon whether you want economy or acceleration respectively.

Pos

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Stock gearing is 15/42. Ray.
          thanks for the reply

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Steve, just so you know, part of the reason you were getting such tremendous mileage out of the ES is because the pilot circuit was horribly lean. The adjustment screws were only .75 turns out. On the average, they are usually 2 to 2.5 turns out, thus richening the mixture and slightly hampering your fuel economy. I have adjusted this, and since, my fuel economy has dropped to about what you're getting. Still nothing to sneeze at. A correction for this, while still retaining your power, is to ditch the stock 630 gearing, use a 530 set up. Here is what you will need:

18t front sprocket 530 type
            48t rear sprocket 530 type
            114 link 530 type oring/xw ring chain
            6mm spacer to replace the plate the original front sprocket had
            master link (either rivet type or clip type, clip type is slightly less dependable but much simpler to change. If you use a clip type, put a dab of super clue on the clip where it contacts the chain plate, it will help hold it on but not make it impossible to remove)

This will effectively reduce your cruising RPM at 70mph from 4500rpm to around 4300. Fuel economy restored, no loss of power, especially since the 530 chain is less rotation mass for the motor to turn, gaining you MORE HP getting to the ground.
            Thanks for the update and info. I thought I had looked at those and found them all lean and turned them out 2 turns. Maybe I only turned them out two 180 degree turns with the screwdriver which would explain the approximate 1 full turn (.75 you indicated?). Or maybe I did it on my G and dreamt that I did the ES....as long as it's running better for you.
            Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2008, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X