Tire size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire size question

I'm needing to replace my rear tire on my GS1100GK. The existing tire is a 130/90-16 and there isn't a lot of clearance width-wise. Does anyone know if you can stuff a 140/90-16 in there? It would be 0.6 inch taller which shouldn't be an issue, but how about width?

the 140 means it's 140mm wide. So you would be adding 5mm on each side. Do you have 5mm clearance? If you do then it should work. I am going to go one size larger on my bike next time I need a rear tire, but I have a ton of room.

Comment

130/90-16 (or MT90-16) is the correct size, so that's what you should use.

There's no reason to go wider -- motorcycles handle best with the correct size tires mounted.

Cars and similar low-tech four wheeled devices with square treads often handle better with wider tires, but the same thinking doesn't apply to vehicles that lean to turn.

With that said, it will probably fit, you probably won't die or anything, and you may not even notice (or you may like) the difference. There's a guy (Dan the Man) with an 850GL who reports great satisfaction and no clearance problems with a 140/80 rear tire (Pirelli Scorpion).

The tire manufacturer's web site should have a chart somewhere showing actual mounted widths and diameters along with recommended rim widths.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I kinda have a history of doing things there's no good reason for, but I think I'll just stick with the standard size this time around.

I did just notice that the front tire from the PO is a 100/90 rather than the specified 110/90. I'll go with the recommended, and slightly taller, 110/90 when it needs replacement, which might make the speedo more accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tal/IL View Post
          I'm needing to replace my rear tire on my GS1100GK. The existing tire is a 130/90-16 and there isn't a lot of clearance width-wise. Does anyone know if you can stuff a 140/90-16 in there? It would be 0.6 inch taller which shouldn't be an issue, but how about width?
          In my 9 years of owning a GS1100GK, I tried a 140/90-16 rear Cheng Shin HiMax once. It fit, but not much clearance. It worked just fine.

I replaced it with the standard 130/90-16 the next time.

By the way, a 130/90-17 rear tire on a 17-inch rear rim fits an 1100GK just fine also.

The 110/90-19 front works best for the GK, although a 100/90-19 is just fine for it as well. Since my GK had a GS750 chrome front fender (long story), it didn't give me much clearance on the 1100GK, so I used the 100/90-19 tire.

Comment

Most of the shafties use a 100/90-19 front. However, the GK is sui generis in many other ways, so it wouldn't surprise me if the GK is intended to use a 110/90-19 front.

My 850 had a 110/90-19 when I bought it, and I unknowingly replaced it with the same the first time I bought tires. It was a little difficult to squeeze in there, too.

Next time around, I looked up the correct size and mounted up a 100/90-19, which very noticeably improved handling (the bike felt much lighter). Same with my friend Al's 850GL.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

All the specs for the GS1100GK that I've seen say 110/90-19 front and 130/90-16 rear and that's what's on the sticker under the seat also. So, I guess that's what I'll stick with.

Comment

Working...
              X