No Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Power

Lost all power while riding my '81 GS750 at 50 mph. Sat by the roadside a few minutes and it restarted and ran well. A few days ago lost power for just a few seconds. It restarted (45 mph push start) and ran well. It acts like no power, so I'm thinking ignition. Any help? Thanks

Loose / corroded connection on the main terminal in the fuse box, battery or in the ignition. A multi-testor will be your next best friend. Have you spent any time trying to recreate the problem?

Comment

Could also be a fuel flow problem with a bad petcock.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Same Problem on my XS400

Had the exact same symptom on my Yamaha XS400: bad fuse/connector.

Get an ohm meter. Don't assume a fuse is good by looking at it. I had a bad fuse and the connectors that it fits in to. Replaced all fuses and resoldered all new connectors been good for a year

Comment

if it has a vacuum petcock try it on "prime"......i believe an ignition problem would likely have some miss/back firing and popping stuff going on. i'm guessing fuel...
          GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.
            I cleaned the kill switch contacts, and will look at the ignition switch next.
            I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. Usually when I run low on gas it sputters somewhat and I can move the valve to "reserve". Then it is strong again. This didn't act like that, so I don't think it is fuel related.
            I twisted all the electrical connectors to the igniter to make sure they had good contact, looked at the fuses (will check with a meter next time) and cleaned up some connections.

Can an igniter give an intermittent problem, or if they die are they really dead? Maybe I'll pick up a used one as a spare.

Comment

"It restarted (45 mph push start) and ran well."

You can run at 45 mph!
              1983 750 Katana
              1982 750 Katana (parts use)
              1983 RZ350

Comment

Yeah, well I'm not the best author and I appreciate your humor. I was riding at 45mph when I lost all power so I coasted a little and then let the clutch back out in an attempt to restart the engine.

Comment

You "author" fine. I just couldn't resist. Glad it didn't offend you.

Good luck with the problem. Electrical ones can be fun.

Chris
                  1983 750 Katana
                  1982 750 Katana (parts use)
                  1983 RZ350

Comment

Working...
                  X