carb screen question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb screen question

was taking apart the carbs for a cleaning and the screen that is attached to the needle valve seat was missing. how important is this screen. I suppose the last fellow who rebuilt it lost it. Have not took apart any others. I just hope all 4 not missing. at 5 bucks a crack that would suck. should I replace it or just put back together? on 80 gs750e

I would think things would be just fine without them - but you run the risk of introducing debris up into the carb passages without them. However, if the carb bowls are clean & you're running a fuel filter then I think the risk is minimal.

For $20, I would replace them personally.

Good luck,

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Carb screens

I've rebuilt carbs that had screens that were so full of various gunk that the bike would not get enough fuel to run properly. I'd spend the $20 or maybe find a set of trashed carbs that you could scavenge a set from. Try posting to see if someone has a spare set in their parts box.

Comment

the mesh on those screens is no finer than whats on the fuel tap screen so, technically there's no need for them
        that said, i would want to keep em the way mr suzuki intended
        GS850GT

Comment

Working...
        X