GS1000 Clutch discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Clutch discs

I can guess the answer to this question, but thought I would ask it anyway. I checked my fibers last night and they are all at or just below the 0.098" service limit listed in my manual. Just wondering if I might get another season out of them as they are. PO must have been riding the clutch like an old granny. Only 43,000km on it. Steelies look brand new.

I know I should just order up a set of 8 new ones and new springs and just do it, but, with the economy going the way it is, and my newfound need to buy a house this coming spring, gotta watch the cashflow.

If its not slipping..I'd just run it.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy View Post
      I can guess the answer to this question, but thought I would ask it anyway. I checked my fibers last night and they are all at or just below the 0.098" service limit listed in my manual. Just wondering if I might get another season out of them as they are. PO must have been riding the clutch like an old granny. Only 43,000km on it. Steelies look brand new.

I know I should just order up a set of 8 new ones and new springs and just do it, but, with the economy going the way it is, and my newfound need to buy a house this coming spring, gotta watch the cashflow.
      Order springs, put em in, and give it a whirl. No sense in replacing them if they dont need. The springs, ive found, go way faster than the fibers...Ive never changed em in any of my GSs yet.. springs, a time and about to be two...

Comment

Sweet! Should I go for OEM springs, or should I look for some Barnett springs or something aftermarket? I'll measure the springs when I get a chance. If they're within spec, I won't worry about them either. Don't know if the PO ever changed them.

Comment

Since the plates are thin your stack height for the assemble will be lower. I think you can install a washer stack on top of the springs to replace for the lost height so you can get a smig more clamping action out of the clutch until you get around to replacing it.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

The OEM springs work just fine for the street and are relatively cheap (Carolina Cycle: OEM or Z-1: Aftermarket). This is a subjective choice based on your riding; if your racing your GS be it street/drag than the extra pressure Barnett springs are necessary. EBC also offers a set which are slightly stiffer than OEM springs.

If its merely a street bike your left hand will feel the difference all the time and you may regret it. Many have suggested using 3 OEM springs & 3 H/D springs. I tryed that set up back in the 1980's when Motorcyclist wrote about it in "Project GS1000" and it was still too stiff for me. When I upgraded my clutch basket last winter I reverted back to the OEM springs.
            1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
            Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

brand new fibers measure about .120 or approx 3mm. you might do well getting springs and fibers. just think you won't do it again for many many years.

9 bucks a plate about , and 5 bucks in EBC springs,maybe a gasket, oil and filter change.
              less than 100.00 parts I would do it right
              SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
                The OEM springs work just fine for the street and are relatively cheap (Carolina Cycle: OEM or Z-1: Aftermarket). This is a subjective choice based on your riding; if your racing your GS be it street/drag than the extra pressure Barnett springs are necessary. EBC also offers a set which are slightly stiffer than OEM springs.

If its merely a street bike your left hand will feel the difference all the time and you may regret it. Many have suggested using 3 OEM springs & 3 H/D springs. I tryed that set up back in the 1980's when Motorcyclist wrote about it in "Project GS1000" and it was still too stiff for me. When I upgraded my clutch basket last winter I reverted back to the OEM springs.

Dude, I ride an XS650. My left arm is ALREADY bigger than my right. Lol! Will look into springs if I find that the originals are out of spec. Would rather do that first since I know I'll need them eventually anyway. I plan on doing the fibers too, just not right away. Not a big job to do later, so it can wait.

Comment

One thing no one else mentioned here, & it is only a bandaid but would get you through this for awhile, is that spark plug gaskets are the correct size to install behind your clutch springs to add some more spring pressure. I'll bet you even have some or could go to a friend that has old plugs laying around you could remove them from. You need the ones from 14 mm plugs & I would start with 2 behind each spring since your plates are worn so much. The BEST repair would be to replace the stock fibers with new SUZUKI plates but this would get you by for awhile. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    One thing no one else mentioned here, & it is only a bandaid but would get you through this for awhile, is that spark plug gaskets are the correct size to install behind your clutch springs to add some more spring pressure. I'll bet you even have some or could go to a friend that has old plugs laying around you could remove them from. You need the ones from 14 mm plugs & I would start with 2 behind each spring since your plates are worn so much. The BEST repair would be to replace the stock fibers with new SUZUKI plates but this would get you by for awhile. Good luck, Ray.
                    Hey Ray,

I mentioned adding washers under the springs a number of posts ago. Good suggestion about using spark plug washers.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hey Ness! How's life treating you these days? Are your bikes all up & running? Let me know if you want to get together for a cold one sometime! I'm going to the dragstrip at Irwindale tonight to do some clutch work for someone, if you don't have plans come on out. Sorry, I missed your quote about shimming the springs. Ray.

Comment

Why did you take it apart to measure in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                          Why did you take it apart to measure in the first place.

I took the engine apart to clean everything and replace leaky gaskets and basically check things out. Checked out the clutch and that's what I found. Ya gotta remember, I only ran this thing for about 5 minutes between when it came off the trailer to the time I started tearing into it. Nowhere near enough time to notice little things that might be problems. So, just checking everything so I know it's good when I fire it up in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                          X