Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike won't start when it's cold - too rich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have any feedback (new to all of this), but I'm glad I decided to take a look at this thread. I'll probably have to come back to it soon, because I've been encountering a similar problem as the temperature drops around here. I had to crank my 650 about six times today at full choke (with plenty of sputters and almost-there moments) to get it to finally fire up and run for a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by skidMarkNZ View Post
      dont see what the hell this would do but err okay.
      blowing into the vent tube floods fuel into the engine thru the carbs .

battery voltage is very important in the cold.
      keep a can of quick start . be smarter than the bike, ether is a good tool
      cold no start could be a tight valve or weak spark,low dynamic voltage and a wearing starter..
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
        blowing into the vent tube floods fuel into the engine thru the carbs .

battery voltage is very important in the cold.
        keep a can of quick start . be smarter than the bike, ether is a good tool
        cold no start could be a tight valve or weak spark,low dynamic voltage and a wearing starter..
        I think I did finally try the vent tube thing correctly. You have to do this *while* starting the bike, or just just before trying to start the bike? Either way, the bike went from sputtering and trying to start to just cranking and *not* sputtering and trying to start, and bogged down (the starter turned the motor over slower). I'm still thinking that I was running too rich, and pushing more gas into the cylinders just exacerbates the problem.

The battery is holding voltage as far as I can tell. If it's not starting I can get a good 20 or 30 tries as getting it started, at 10-15 seconds each. Also, even if I kill the battery to the point where it won't turn the motor over, if I let it sit for a minute, it will get enough charge to roll it a few more times. I'm thinking if the battery were dead that the motor would turn slower and I wouldn't get this much 'juice' out of it. Also, the starter does crank the engine at a good clip (as fast as I would expect...about as fast as it does during the summer) so I'm thinking/hoping I'm good there.

Did a valve adjustment less than 100 miles ago. All but 2 were completely in spec., and the 2 that were out were so close that swapping to the next smaller shim put them out of spec the other direction.

Thanks for the reminder about the starter fluid! I have a can of it from last fall when the bike left me stranded, and I've been meaning to attach it somewhere to the bike in the even that the same thing happens again.

Took 3 tries and some sputtering to get the bike started this morning, but it did finally take off. (35F) So far, so good, I think.

Comment

I think I did finally try the vent tube thing correctly. You have to do this *while* starting the bike, or just just before trying to start the bike?
          A couple of puffs into the breather tube, full choke and hit the starter. Do NOT touch the throttle. It should start.

Comment

I have a GS550 that I don't use the starter when it's cold...I end up kicking it over...a lot (not that some people have that option). But I was thinking about this issue and came across this possible solution. I might make a thread about this to get feedback specifically on what people think of this.

Comment

The vent tube trick is best done before trying to start the bike. Like Almarconi says, a couple of puffs into each tube, pull up the choke, then try the starter but without using any throttle.
              "Betsy" 1978 CX500 ratbike
              1978 GS750
              1979 GS750 chop
              1979 GS550
              2003 GSF1200 K3 Bandit
              2000 Enfield Bullet 500
              1992 XV750 Virago
              2016 Harley 883 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by pbdavey View Post
                I have a GS550 that I don't use the starter when it's cold...I end up kicking it over...a lot (not that some people have that option). But I was thinking about this issue and came across this possible solution. I might make a thread about this to get feedback specifically on what people think of this.

http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Motorcycle.htm
                The heater when used on the oil-pan, will benefit those who ride in cooler temps (around freezing) by providing better flow after start-up, and perhaps make it easier on the starter. However, if starting problems are carb related (poor atomization of fuel when cold), it probably won't help.....an electric space heater blowing on your engine for a while before attempting to start might be better (I have been meaning to try this myself, but as yet have not).

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                X