Bought a GS1100E, Damn Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a GS1100E, Damn Oil Leak

Got a real nice 1982 GS1100E for $1700.00, bucks did everthing on it brakes, tires,charging system,battery, cleaned rebuilt carbs--fired it up today--DAMN OIL leak at-- That bolt that goes from the bottom up, right in the middle of the head, on the front side by the exhaust pipes. Thats where mines leaking , what the hell-any ideas/quick fixes , drips about 3-5 drops between rides!!! man this blows, i love this thing!
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2009, 09:14 PM.

Got an Idea..........

I am sure it's a major problem and expense? I will give you $800 for the bike and I will try to fix it....

Honestly I don't know but I am sure someone will help...at least you got something to fall back on.....

Comment

Mine leaks there too and I rebuilt the engine and just put a new valve cover gasket on. If you get it figured out, let me know. I just wipe it off after a couple of rides and forget it about it. Too many other things to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
        Got a real nice 1982 GS1100E for $700.00, bucks did everthing on it brakes, tires,charging system,battery, cleaned rebuilt carbs--fired it up today--DAMN OIL leak at-- That bolt that goes from the bottom up, right in the middle of the head, on the front side by the exhaust pipes. Thats where mines leaking , what the hell-any ideas/quick fixes , drips about 3-5 drops between rides!!! man this blows, i love this thing!
        Cromwell,

I'm not sure exactly where your leak is but it sounds similar to one I had some years ago on my '83 1100E. Take a look at the parts diagram below, items 14 and 17. Item 17 is an o-ring that had gotten hard and caused a similar symptom to what you are describing. If your leak is coming from around item 14 there's a good chance the o-ring will fix it..........and it's only $2.49 from BikeBandit.

Good luck,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

If what Joe says is right it the leak will be coming from in between the two cylinders.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Its the same leak I have too.

The # 10 bolt in the diagram.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Got a real nice 1982 GS1100E for $700.00, bucks did everthing on it brakes, tires,charging system,battery, cleaned rebuilt carbs--fired it up today--DAMN OIL leak at-- That bolt that goes from the bottom up, right in the middle of the head, on the front side by the exhaust pipes. Thats where mines leaking , what the hell-any ideas/quick fixes , drips about 3-5 drops between rides!!! man this blows, i love this thing!
              That pic looks like the one in TX that just went for over $3k on eBay.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Its the same leak I have too.

The # 10 bolt in the diagram.

Dave,

That's just how mine looked. It was right after removing and replacing the head and I thought it was a head gasket leak. Try cleaning the area up and watch closely for the leak. There are passages on either side of the cam chain housing that will let oil from the o-ring mentioned above run down onto the bolt you're referring to.

Thanks,
                Joe
                IBA# 24077
                '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                  Dave,

There are passages on either side of the cam chain housing that will let oil from the o-ring mentioned above run down onto the bolt you're referring to.
                  What is that Item #14 ? BB calls it a SEAL NUT CYL HE
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    What is that Item #14 ? BB calls it a SEAL NUT CYL HE
                    It's just a funky nut (or bolt but I believe it has female threads) that helps hold the head on. The o-ring (item #17) slides onto #14 and seals a passage in the head. I can't see how item #14 would need to be replaced unless it got really chewed up somehow.

Thanks,
                    Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
                      It's just a funky nut
                      Im on it...

OK,
                      New oring for funky bolt
                      New valve cover gasket
                      Adjust valves
                      Ask GSR how to re torque head... do I need to start a new thread ?
                      Anything else while Im in there?
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Interestingly, I went out and checked mine and noticed some oil residue in the exact same spot. Not sure it's enough to worry about right now, but something I'm going to keep an eye on.

Comment

You didn't say whether you pulled the valve cover and adjusted the valves too and replaced the valve cover gasket?
                          The '83 1100ES I recently had was leaking oil between #2 and #3 cyl between the exhaust and down lower around the head gasket.
                          I pulled the valve cover to find a split in the valve cover gasket about smack in the middle as you look down and because the way the head is shaped the oil dripped down and out the opening to the front making it look like it was coming from the front of the engine.
                          Long story short I adjusted the valves and carefully replaced the gasket with a genuine dealer one for about the same price($20) if you factor in shipping as the cheap ones online.
                          Judging by the way it was split, I'm guessing either the PO had not carefully lined it up, thereby stretching it(breaking it?) or it was just a cheap quality aftermarket gasket.
                          Before people get defensive about non-dealer gaskets, I have one of those that I put on my 1100G 2 years ago and have no problems with leaking.
                          Maybe it's more bout being careful lining the gasket up and I put a light coat of grease on both sides to keep it in place as I line up all the bolts before tightening anything.

Comment

I had the same oil leak in that area. I found that the area where the breather hose connects to the top of the airbox was completely plugged with rust which prevented the engine from breathing. After fixing that problem, no oil leak, Ted

Comment

oil leak

Joe nardy, I hope your right, i really dont want to replace the head gasket, do you know, if that o-ring gasket can be replaced without taking the top 1/3 off, thanks for the helpful diagram. Pic below, it looks like it might be that o-ring

Comment

Working...
                              X