No announcement yet.

Bought a GS1100E, Damn Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking for an 82 silver 1100E for what seems like forever. NICE FIND my man. I'm really jealous! good luck and congrats!

Comment

thanks marco it pulls like the space shuttle, however trying to figure out how to take care of that leak.

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
        Im on it...

OK,
        New oring for funky bolt
        New valve cover gasket
        Adjust valves
        Ask GSR how to re torque head... do I need to start a new thread ?
        Anything else while Im in there?
        Dave, I'd highly recommend verifying where the oil leak is coming from before tearing into it. It could be something other than the o-ring which can be just as easily repaired. Clean the front of the engine off as well as possible (Simple Green works well for this) then start the engine and watch for fresh oil. On mine it took very little time before oil started running down the sides of the cam chain housing.

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
        Joe nardy, I hope your right, i really dont want to replace the head gasket, do you know, if that o-ring gasket can be replaced without taking the top 1/3 off, thanks for the helpful diagram. Pic below, it looks like it might be that o-ring
        The 'funky nut' can be accessed by removing just the valve cover. Remove it, replace the o-ring, replace and re-torque. Like I said above, it would be best to verify if this indeed where your leak is.

Good luck,
        Joe
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Oil Leak

Ok found the quick fix for the rest of the season, unscrew the bolt , clean area with degreaser, add some high heat silicone into and around the grove/gasket area, install bolt with some silicone at the base--and like magic no more oil leak---thanks for the tips guys

Comment

Originally posted by cromwell1234 View Post
            Ok found the quick fix for the rest of the season, unscrew the bolt , clean area with degreaser, add some high heat silicone into and around the grove/gasket area, install bolt with some silicone at the base--and like magic no more oil leak---thanks for the tips guys
            Cromwell,

Which bolt are you referring to? The one in the front of the engine accessible without removing the valve cover (item #10 in the parts diagram) or the 'funky nut' with o-ring accessible by removing the valve cover (items #14 and #17)?

Thanks,
            Joe
            IBA# 24077
            '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
            '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
            '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

I had the same leak on my 83 1100E, with the faster black motor, and chased it all over the place. Mine was coming from the gasket on the cam chain tensioner.
              I know it is all the way on the back of the engine but it traveled all the way to the front to drive me crazy until I found it.
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

The more I see these GS1100E bikes the more I want one. Nice find.

Comment

I have actually had oil leaks from the three smaller bolts on the head. The two outer and the one in the center front. Use Permatex thread sealer and this will stop those leaks.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

cam chain tensioner

Originally posted by crag antler View Post
                    I had the same leak on my 83 1100E, with the faster black motor, and chased it all over the place. Mine was coming from the gasket on the cam chain tensioner.
                    I know it is all the way on the back of the engine but it traveled all the way to the front to drive me crazy until I found it.
                    Hey craig Ill check that to (cam chain tensioner), by the way my bike was built in very late 1982 and I have your motor, and a few goodies lined up to blow your doors off--haha--thanks brother

Comment

Mine too

Hey,

Mine had oil there too, it was coming from a leaking valve cover gasket.

Eddie

Comment

Joe's right about this one (and many others). Those o-rings tend to cook and get rock hard and brittle over time. My leak drove me nuts and after trying almost every other option, replacing those o-rings did the trick.
                        Good luck!

Comment

I have the same residue in that same spot, it dosn't appear to be leaking to the extent that it drips but road grit had built up there.

Comment

If I see the diagram right that "O" ring is on only one of the head nuts. Do all the head nuts have an "O" ring, or is that the only one that has one? Thanks
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

There are two. Front two center.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hate to revisit this thread, but the GF is gone and I'm spending some time on the bike, before I pull the valve cover does anyone know if I have to remove the cam chain and sprocket to get to the #14, #17 seal nut, like the diagram shows above on page 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X