How much fork pressure? [Help the newbie!]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much fork pressure? [Help the newbie!]

I'm new to motorcycling and my '82 GS650L......So excuse my ignorance. I was riding my bike the other day, and found the front suspension bottoming out. I found...and checked...the air fittings on top of the forks. Each of them registered about 7 psi. The tag on the fork said max 36 psi.....so I guessed and put in 20 psi. The bike rides soooo much better now...but I'd love to know what the correct pressure is. [I've ordered a repair manual....but it won't be here for a week.]

Thanks!!!

Keith

36 psi sound sto high, my friends yammy virago only takes 10 to 12 psi.

Comment

usuall fork settings depending on model 8-15 lbs

Comment

The right pressure depends on a lot of things, including the level of the fork oil, grade of oil etc. On my 78 GS1000 I run 11psi most times, but I still have the original springs which are a bit soft. Oh yes, I have the European spec fork, it runs a little more pressure.

Comment

The correct answer is Zero psi!!! you should measure from the bottom of your triple clamps to the top of the seal caps when the wheel is off the ground, then roll it off the stand sit on the bike and have a friend remeasure in the same spot. Subtract the second figure from the first and if it ends up a figure more than 30mm(1&1/4") you need to fit spacers to your fork spings inside the forks.
          You should not use air in the forks as it encourages foaming of the fork oil excess heat , which makes the fork oil breakdown sooner, and of cause places extra stress on seals etc. using air is just hiding the problem of it not being setup correctly to start with.
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
            using air is just hiding the problem of it not being setup correctly to start with.
            Dink

Then why the air nozzles in the first place?? My Honda had them too. :twisted:

Comment

Tim because in a perfect world you would change the springs and damping to suit each individual load you put on a bike( like racers do ) but this is not practical on a road motorcycle and the air adjustment is provided to allow you to adjust for a heavier load, like when loaded up two-up touring. However as most bikes are most often riden solo and mostly unladen except the rider it only makes sense to set it up correctly to start with so you then have it working at its best most of the time.
              Dink

Comment

Ahh, makes sense..... :twisted:

Comment

..which is why on my air forks I change it to suit two up, camping gear on, racetrack, gravel....who rides only solo??!!

And I have Fournales air shocks on the back...a good match.

BTW, I have only ever changed fork seals once!

Comment

Working...
                  X