GS1100ES/1150 electronic tach help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100ES/1150 electronic tach help!

So i swapped, with the help of RageZro and his wonderfull bike lift (i dont have a centerstand) my chain and sprockets tonight. went with 530 type 18t front and 48t rear...should have dropped my cruising RPM @70mph from 4500RPM to about 4300 or there abouts...Funny thing is, since i paid close attention to it on the way home to see what sort of a difference it really made... the tach started to tweak out a little bit. I know that the 1100ES runs an electronic tach like the 1150s, but what is it driven by? Would my gearing change have effected how the tach reads things?

those tachs run off of the coils, like a car tach ect..
    there not the most accurate or reliable and with age get some quirks.

Comment

Kinda figured it was off the coils. So that means the gear change would do nothing to the tach. Never really acted up before, maybe i have some bad connections somewhere or something....will have to investigate. Thanks Terry!

Josh

Comment

Hey Cafekid...
        The gearing change shouldn't have any effect on the tac. Like blower bike says...as they get older they tend to get quirky. I found a post here on how to repair the electric tacs and so far, it's a pretty easy fix and so far, mine is working well.
        I couldn't find the exact parts, but it doesn't seem to be to important that they be the exact UF.
        I also used some very light teflon oil on the needle shafts too.

Comment

Originally posted by hcritz View Post
          Hey Cafekid...
          The gearing change shouldn't have any effect on the tac. Like blower bike says...as they get older they tend to get quirky. I found a post here on how to repair the electric tacs and so far, it's a pretty easy fix and so far, mine is working well.
          I couldn't find the exact parts, but it doesn't seem to be to important that they be the exact UF.
          I also used some very light teflon oil on the needle shafts too.
          I am not sure if its the tach itself, or if its getting crappy signal from the coil it feeds from. I will have to take a look. You happen to have a link to that repair thread? Thanks

TCK

Comment

Hey Kid...
            I think this is the one...
            This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
            X