No announcement yet.

can the four carbs be replaced with 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO! NOT TRYING TO BANKRUPT YOU. are you worried? I will be calling for some parts this winter. I hope to make garage a little bigger. I do not remember how to do any woodworking? Overtime and new bike. Is waterman saying the GL and the L are the same? I have an L not a GL. I just was wanting to know if one of the other models was the same. 550L is common and so is 850L not so for 650L. I missed a brand new exhaust on ebay because L wasn't listed. I almost bought it anyway, I thought it may work anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
      wasn't wanting to keep 80 chevette stock. Tinted windows wide tires on the back. would have tried to install a buick 231 in it, was way to poor. I ran that thing hard and it never complained once. and if you can make something better , why not?
      Nothing wrong with trying to make any car or bike run better. Some may scoff at your choice of vehicle to modify, but you were on a budget and would have learnt some valuable lessons.

I don't know what capacity the Chevette was released on the US market.
      From memory, here they were 1.6 litre and pretty heavy, tame performers.
      Chrysler UK fitted them out with a 2.3 L engine in rally trim and they won a few international rallies at the time. Their performance was great, but their short and narrow wheel base, meant their pilots needed special skills on fast downhill sections to avoid the rear catching up with the front. As a consequence, they were only around for 2 or 3 seasons.

Don't put Robert out of business. Rebuild your 4 carbs, tune them well and forget about them for many years of riding.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Yes, yes I was telling you that your L is actually a gL. The g designates that it is shaft drive, the L is a "luxury, low rider, limited, etc" whatever it stands for. Suzuki did make a gs650e which was a chain drive. Sorry that I was not clear. One way to check for compatible parts is to review the parts diagrams on bikebandit or alphasports for corresponding numbers. Good luck with it.

Comment

Thank you Thank you That will make it much easier to find parts. I am forever in your debt. Been trying to figure that out for quite awhile. It is not really wrote down anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by scrapper View Post
            NO! NOT TRYING TO BANKRUPT YOU. are you worried? I will be calling for some parts this winter. I hope to make garage a little bigger. I do not remember how to do any woodworking? Overtime and new bike. Is waterman saying the GL and the L are the same? I have an L not a GL. I just was wanting to know if one of the other models was the same. 550L is common and so is 850L not so for 650L. I missed a brand new exhaust on ebay because L wasn't listed. I almost bought it anyway, I thought it may work anyway?
            "G" means that it has a drive shaft, not a chain. Suzuki made a GS650E with chain drive.

"L" models were Suzuki's first foray into the cruiser market. Engines, transmissions and electrical systems were identical to the "standard" models. Seats were different, putting the driver lower, and the passenger a bit above the driver. Gas tanks were skinnier and smaller, and they only got one front disc brake (at least in 673 cc displacement = GS650). As far as I know, all of the L model GSes had drive shafts. My Suzuki shop manual covers the 650G and 650GL models, treating the differences between the two in one chapter at the end. The manual calls it a "GS650GL". However, I think that the side covers all had "GS650L". Just to confuse people.

There were also

GS650T: I think that this was a GS650E slightly stripped down. Few sold.
            GS650M: This may have been the 650 version of the Katana. Styling was starting to mimic race bikes. I think that this had a drive shaft, and sportier suspension. Very few sold in the US.
            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
              "G" means that it has a drive shaft, not a chain. Suzuki made a GS650E with chain drive.

"L" models were Suzuki's first foray into the cruiser market. Engines, transmissions and electrical systems were identical to the "standard" models. Seats were different, putting the driver lower, and the passenger a bit above the driver. Gas tanks were skinnier and smaller, and they only got one front disc brake (at least in 673 cc displacement = GS650). As far as I know, all of the L model GSes had drive shafts. My Suzuki shop manual covers the 650G and 650GL models, treating the differences between the two in one chapter at the end. The manual calls it a "GS650GL". However, I think that the side covers all had "GS650L". Just to confuse people.

There were also

GS650T: I think that this was a GS650E slightly stripped down. Few sold.
              GS650M: This may have been the 650 version of the Katana. Styling was starting to mimic race bikes. I think that this had a drive shaft, and sportier suspension. Very few sold in the US.
              Dunno if you were speaking strictly of the 650s there, but there were 550Ls, 750Ls, 1000Ls and for ONE year (1980), an 1100L that were chain drive...

And I have to agree, it CAN be done, but getting it tuned I dont want to even imagine... I cant think of, other than making equal length intake ports, how youd get the cylinders to fire exactly on time.. of course, im no carb guru either...
              Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. It makes more sense. Tone the picture would not show up. Here is a pix of my bike ,it has one of my wifes daycare kids on it. I will try to take a better picture.

Comment

Working...
                X