Por 15?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Por 15?

I am getting ready to coat a fuel tank and I have a bunch of POR 15 here.
    Does anyone know if there is a difference between the coating for chassis compared to their tank coatings?

YEs

REad the directions. Only use the gas tank treatment for inside the tank

Comment

Ahh good, you got me reading all of POR-15 downloadable data and in the instructions for the regular coatings is this,
      "POR-15 can be used to seal gas tanks, also, and
      POR-15 PUTTY will take care of larger holes."

So according to the company there is no problem using the regular POR-15 for fuel tanks.

Comment

Is the Por 15 for a fuel tank Black in colour? how would you know if you have it distributed evenly inside? just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by martyman View Post
          Is the Por 15 for a fuel tank Black in colour? how would you know if you have it distributed evenly inside? just curious.
          The fuel tank POR-15 is grey in color. I can tell you that a little goes a long way...

Take care to roll the tank around to ensure the POR covers the inside completely - I found it hard to get the sidewalls of the middle section covered easily.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            The fuel tank POR-15 is grey in color. I can tell you that a little goes a long way...

Take care to roll the tank around to ensure the POR covers the inside completely - I found it hard to get the sidewalls of the middle section covered easily.
            Firstly POR-15 is a great product for sealing tanks. I've done mine plus a couple friends tanks with great results. Getting the hump in the centre of the tank is always a bit of a pain. I'm going to do my almost new tank this winter as a preventive measure as it's already showing some minor surface rust on the inside. What I'm going to try when I apply the coating this time is to pour it in the gas filler hole using a funnel with an extenion tube on it and try to get as much of the hump coated as can that way and then rotate the tank to coat the rest. Hopefully that will be a little easier.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy View Post
              .....What I'm going to try when I apply the coating this time is to pour it in the gas filler hole using a funnel with an extension tube on it and try to get as much of the hump coated as can that way and then rotate the tank to coat the rest. Hopefully that will be a little easier.
              Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of the whole operation today, just drying out the tank with the hair dryer to get it ready for the final coating. That's a great tip to funnel the stuff over the center hump first. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X