gs450l help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450l help

Ok heres what my issue is. I just rebuilt the carbs, like steve showed me. bike starts runs great, till you ride for a few minutes then it wants to die. What in the world could be causing this?
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

First...did you change the carb boot O rings?
    Second...how is your choke?
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by kparkfan View Post
      Ok heres what my issue is. I just rebuilt the carbs, like steve showed me. bike starts runs great, till you ride for a few minutes then it wants to die. What in the world could be causing this?
      Fuel line or pickup plugged up, vacuum operated petcock gone bad? Possibly open just enough to fill the carb bowls while sitting (assume you have it in the prime position on the petcock for that) and start and run, but once the bowls empty and can't be refilled fast enough she dies. Have you tried running it in the prime position instead of the "on"

Comment

...bike starts runs great, till you ride for a few minutes then it wants to die. What in the world could be causing this?
        Happens to my 650 on occasion. The in-line fuel filter gets plugged because the fuel tank is VERY rusted inside (hence, the filter).

Sounds like a "lack of fuel" issue - as WesV stated, check your petcock, fuel line, and fuel filter for blockage. If the petcock is original, I would strongly suggest replacing it with a new OEM one (about $45), just a matter of time before it craps the bed...

Good luck

mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

petcock is brand new as is the fuel line. it only dies when im at a stop. could it be because i dont have the idle set right?
          I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

also the carb boot orings are new
            I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Here's one for you ... assuming you have two keys (or a different key for the gas cap), ride the bike till it wants to die. Then without shutting off the bike open the gas cap and see if you hear a rush of air into the tank and/or notice the bike begin to run properly again. If so, the gas cap vent is clogged and needs to be attended to.

The theory is: As you ride along the fuel is leaving the tank faster than air can get in to replace it, and a vacuum is created which keeps fuel from freely flowing to the carbs, thus starving the engine of fuel.

Good luck with it!

Regards,

Comment

only have one key. which sucks lol
                I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

only have one key. which sucks lol
                  Well if you don't find some other cause (and even if you do) an extra key may be required and is always a good thing to have!

Regards,

Comment

petcock is brand new as is the fuel line. it only dies when im at a stop. could it be because i dont have the idle set right?
                    You said earlier the bike starts great, does it idle well after warming ? Does it only die when you're riding, but runs/idles OK when just sitting there on the centerstand?

Sorry for the 20 questions, just trying to isolate when the problem occurs; is it intemittent or happens only when you are driving it?

Is there an airfilter & unobstructed air box inlet?? Is the air filter clean?

mike
                    '85 GS550L - SOLD
                    '85 GS550E - SOLD
                    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                    '81 GS750L - SOLD
                    '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

when its warm it seems to idle to low. as long as im riding it will run fine. when im at a stop sign it wants to die if im not giving it gas. if that makes any sense?
                      I didnt do it I swear !!

1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Let's go back to basics. After you cleaned your carbs like Steve showed you, did you set the mixture screw to optimize the idle? Do a carb sync?

If all that was good, have you tried increasing the idle speed by simply turning the idle speed adjustment knob?

I'm not too familiar with 450L model (year?), but I would guess it should idle around 1100 rpm. After the choke is off & the bike is warm, will it idle smoothly at that speed?

If not, turn the knob clockwise to increase the idle speed - then try riding around... (the knob is located under the back of the carbs on the airbox side, it has a large round bronze head).

good luck

mike
                        '85 GS550L - SOLD
                        '85 GS550E - SOLD
                        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                        '81 GS750L - SOLD
                        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Normal idle is about 1100.
                          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
                          X