Clutch Rod seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Rod seal

I've search through the forums and got enough info, I think, to change my leaking clutch rod seal. I ordered a new one from the parts fiche at the dealer and all I got was an O ring. The dealer said that that is the part number that is listed for the seal. Does anyone here have a good picture of the seal (not a parts fiche diagram) and a good part number I can order from. I havn't pulled the old seal yet because I fgure that, if it comes down to it, I can goop RTV over the whole thing and call it done. Any help would be appreciated.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

I found a different part number from Suzuki -- 09283-06002. Does this sound right?
    1981 GS 450L

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I looked at the parts diagram and that looks right. Interestingly you can get one that's 2 mm thicker that goes with a different seal holder. Anyways, the seal should have an outer lip and an inner lip with a spring. Not an o-ring.

While you're in there, triple check that your starter seal isn't leaking oil through the drain hole and making it look like it's the clutch pushrod seal. (Mine was gone and the oil would somehow jump straight from that hole to the pushrod.)

Comment

Time to change the seal. Anybody know of a way to do it with out pulling all of the guts out of the motor from the other side?
        1981 GS 450L

Comment

if it is a seal that goes around a rod that pushes the clutch like how it is on the 550 then take a 1/8" drill bit, drill a little hole through the seal to the left or right of the clutch rod (the seal should be at least a 1" in diameter) you just want to drill through the seal though, look at the new one so you can understand what you are drill into. once you get the hole in the seal which is a metal face covered in rubber take a wood screw or machine screw and screw it into the hole then jsut use a vice grips to pull the seal out.
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

That's a good idea to get it out...the next problem is that the new seal has a lip on the back side of it and seems to stiff to twist through the hole.
            1981 GS 450L

Comment

i just checked the 550 and the 450 share the same clutch seal

order bike bandit # 472387-001 or suzy part number 09285-06011 thats the none flange type and you should be able to drive it in with a some oil and a socket. that number should be the non flange type i think you ended up with a flanged one some how

don't forget to add a little grease to the clutch rod the help keep the seal lip from being cut during install
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

That is the part number for the O ring that they gave me the first time around. I'm going to try packing it with RTV and see if that works.
                1981 GS 450L

Comment

RTV WILL FAIL! you need a new seal.

I will take a picture of the seal you need tonight with the part number on it. Which should be what is stated above. I ordered mine from bike bandit and they seem to get it right.
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

here is the seal in the bag you need

82 Kat 1000 Project
                    05 CRF450x

Comment

That's the one I used on my old 450. Perfect fit.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                      X