Charging probem / Melted connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging probem / Melted connection

I have a 1982 GS110G with 30,100 miles. A couple of days ago it wouldn't start. Seemed like the battery was low. I charged it started the bike and checked the voltage. 5000 RPMs voltage 12.8 to 13.0. I started to notice that the white connector from the rectifier was starting to get very hot and the wires begin to melt. Read an article on the forum about it. It said to clean all connections. Rectifier looks pretty old. Not sure if I should start by replacing the rectifier or rewire first. I have attached a pic. Thanks

Do the Stator papers checks

Rest assured you will probably not pass. If connections are getting that hot it is because of high resistance and plenty of current with high voltage drops. Make sure there is less than about 0.25V drop between the + side of teh battery and the + side of teh R/R output same goes for teh engative sides when you are at 4000 RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by drjpb View Post
      5000 RPMs voltage 12.8 to 13.0.
      Thats not charging. You need over 14vdc. Clean all the connectors very good with spray electrical contact cleaner. Find the RR ground and jumper it or connect right to the - battery post. Check the running voltage again. If its below 14vdc call Duanage and get a Honda RR for $40.

Oh, and a belated welcome. Youve been a member since march and have not introduced yourself or your Bike ? We dont all bite. ; )
      Last edited by bonanzadave; 10-17-2008, 04:00 PM.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Clean all those connectors!! Corrosion on electrical parts is a constant issue with these bikes, and can really make a huge difference. Have you read the stator papers here? Pretty much a prerequisite for understanding GS charging systems. Here is the trouble shooting chart for you

This flow chart is awesome, and you should be able to pinpoint your problem. Good luck, welcome to the GSR!

Heres another on the importance of those connections..

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!

Hi drjpb,

Please click here to receive your mega-welcome, chock full of suggestions, tips, and links. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website for lots of GS lovin'.

After I got my bike, I eventually replaced the entire charging system, stator, regulator/rectifier, AGM battery, new connectors, etc. I don't have to worry about it much any more. You've already been pointed to The Stator Papers. There are some pictorial guides on my site that may help you with replacing parts. Be sure to clean every electrical connection and ground, from the head light bucket to the tail light and the fuse box. It really makes a difference.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed. Oh, yeah, we like pictures too, of your bike, not you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I'm doing well on RR inventory at the moment. The white connector needs to go, my kit goes right to the stator and then straight to the fuse box, allowing the white connector to be discarded. It steals about 1/2 a volt easily.

Pm me for ordering information if you want to go with the Honda RR kit.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
            X