750 chain and sprockets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750 chain and sprockets

I am trying to get my bike road worthy for the summer. I bought it before winter and it is my first bike and I don't want to have any suprises so I am putting new tires and chain/sprockets on. I currently have a 630 chain with 16/41 sprockets. I would like to go to a 530 but am not sure exactly what length chain I need. I counted the pins in the chain and had 96, so is that 96 links or 48 links? I should be able to just swap out sprockets since I am keeping the same tire width correct? My only concern is how many links/length of a 530 chain I need to replace the 630. Any advice or ideas would be great thanks!
    Oh yeah what do think about Dunlop K491s I think that is what I will be putting on.

Bill

630 chain is quite a bit bigger than 530 in every way. Go to the page above and scroll down to a link on chain size. It gives dimensions that may help you. Each pin is considered a link, so 96 is what you have now.

Comment

Do a search here on 530 and chain and sprockets.

This issues has been covered recently, including chian length and tips

Comment

Re: 750 chain and sprockets

If you want to retain the same clearance on the counter sprocket to engine case, you may not be able to retain the same number of sprocket teeth.
        So you would not be able to directly swap out 16/41 630 size sprockets with 16/41 530 size sprockets. #630 chain is .75" pin to pin and a 630 sprocket with 16 teeth would have a circumference of 12" at the pin centerline and a diameter at that point of 3.8" 630 sideplates protrude 5/16" above the pin, so your overall sprocket diameter would be 4 7/16"

#530 chain measures .625" pin to pin and the sideplates are slightly less than 5/16" above pin centerline. But roughly, for the same diameter as a #630 16 tooth sprocket, a #530 sprocket would have 19 teeth.

You will probably need about 115 links of #530 chain, but depending on your choice of numbers of sprocket teeth, I can only tell you for sure that you will need between about 110 and 120 links.

Earl

Originally posted by mrphsurf
        I am trying to get my bike road worthy for the summer. I bought it before winter and it is my first bike and I don't want to have any suprises so I am putting new tires and chain/sprockets on. I currently have a 630 chain with 16/41 sprockets. I would like to go to a 530 but am not sure exactly what length chain I need. I counted the pins in the chain and had 96, so is that 96 links or 48 links? I should be able to just swap out sprockets since I am keeping the same tire width correct? My only concern is how many links/length of a 530 chain I need to replace the 630. Any advice or ideas would be great thanks!
        Oh yeah what do think about Dunlop K491s I think that is what I will be putting on.

Bill
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Earl,
          I see your point, I have been reading past posts and have decided to try to tackle the gearing of the sprokets first. I am not really sure what the stock final dive is for the '77 750 but I primarily ride the bike to and from work (120 miles round trip) I know the 750 isn't the fastest thing on two wheels but it has some zip. I would like to have descent acceleration for passing but understand that I may lose top end. Realistically I don't know what my top end should be for 16/41 but I seriously doubt I will ever reach it! What gearing would you recommend? Since this is my first bike I really have no experience to make a comparison. I think once I get that sorted out I will be better able to make a decision about chain length.
          Bill

Comment

Working...
          X