Removing Swing Arm Bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Swing Arm Bearing

Is there a trick to removing the swing arm bearing? I need to get it out so I can get it sandblasted/powdercoated along with the frame instead of taking it later on.

Bike is a 1983 gs300l

go to auto zone and rent a slide hammer and one of those expandable bearing pullers. the bearings will be damaged but more then likely the swing arm needs new bearings anyway.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

ya.. planned on getting new bearings anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by STANDIGGITY View Post
        Is there a trick to removing the swing arm bearing? I need to get it out so I can get it sandblasted/powdercoated along with the frame instead of taking it later on.

Bike is a 1983 gs300l
        Well, I don't know about any trick, but I did mine, and I'm no ace mechanic like some of the folks around here. I wrote up a little piece on it that you can see here:

Comment

rented the removal tool.. mocked up this ghetto fabulous way of using it (it's supposed to use leverage by pushing off the flywhee.. so I used the upside down jack stand with a c clamp to use them as leverage)

Comment

and this is what I ended up with Any tips on removing the race from inside the swing arm?.. notice in the bottom right, what's left of the bearings.

Comment

can you put a long drift through the swing arm from the opposite side

I used a drift on my swingarm bought new bearing and never looked back

pullers and specialty tools are for pacifists

get a big hqmmer and wail on the thing
              carefully wail on the thing

Comment

Long drift? What is that?

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                can you put a long drift through the swing arm from the opposite side

I used a drift on my swingarm bought new bearing and never looked back

pullers and specialty tools are for pacifists

get a big hqmmer and wail on the thing
                carefully wail on the thing

Comment

Originally posted by STANDIGGITY View Post
                  and this is what I ended up with Any tips on removing the race from inside the swing arm?.. notice in the bottom right, what's left of the bearings.

See the link in my post above for removing the race. A drift is a long metal bar, tapered at one end to about 1/4 inch, but then flat on the end. In my experience a drift is great on wheel bearings but I could not find one long enough for the swingarm bearings. I ended up with the same as you, but it all worked out in the end.

Comment

Working...
                  X