windshield question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windshield question

OK, so I gave in and have installed a windshield on my 1980 GS850G.

I owned two GS650s previously and never had windshields on either of those. But I was younger then and now that I'm getting a bit older, I'm finding I don't like getting beaten up by the wind when I ride on my daily 35 mile commute to work, which is almost all freeway riding.

So I installed a slipstreamer S-03 windshield on the bike.

Since I'm new to riding with a windshield, I had some questions for anyone who might be able to help me out here.

First, the wind created such a push against the windshield on my first ride that I actually felt like the bike was being shoved around a bit on the freeway. This was going about 70 mph.

Also, the windshield sits about the height of my head, so while I don't feel the wind I used to feel against my chest, I do feel it beating against my head. Is this normal?

Also, when I first rode with it, the whole windshield seemed to get shoved over cockeyed from the wind. I'm guessing I didn't have the upper brackets that attach to the handlebars spaced quite right. Any tips on where to place these brackets for maximum bracing of the windshield?

Sorry to sound so lame in this posting, but like I said, I've never ridden a bike with a windshield before and just am not sure if all this is normal or if there are tips to getting the best performance from the windshield that I can.

Thanks.

Congatulations on the purchase of a 'shield.

I am not acquainted with the mounts on the Slipstreamer, but it's possible that they were not quite tight enough if the shield moved on you. With the mounts that my wife has on her National Cycle PlexiFairing, there are two down on the fork legs and two up on the handlebars for four widely-spaced mounting points. If I remember correctly, I had a Slipstreamer back in the late 70s on my small Kaws. They had four points where the shield attached to the mounts, but the mounts only clamped to the bars in two places, making it not very secure. I hope they have changed in the last 30 years.

Yes, it's normal to feel 'pushed around' a bit at speed. You now have a sizeable sail that is attached to the handlebars and it will do its best to try to tell you where to go. Be aware that most of the blasts that hit you are very momentary and will actually blow both ways. They will hit, then back off, so you will get used to just relaxing a bit and letting the bike dance just a bit. If you react quickly to the first blast, you will actually be adding to the counterblast that comes right behind it and will only compound the problem.

If you find that the air is a bit turbulent at face level, try adjusting the angle of the shield. It might sound backwards, but try leaning it back toward you. If it's too upright, it will have very turbulent air going over the top. If you angle it back a bit, it will smoothe out the airflow over the top, giving you a quieter ride.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've had experience with two - National Cycle Plexifairing 3, and Plexistar 2. The 3 was ok, and I disliked the 2 when I first put it on. There's a lot of turbulence at eye and head level when I sit up straight that's not there without a shield. And I have to wear a fanny pack or something to keep my shirt from trying to come up around my neck .

I think the instructions for my Plexistar said mount it at about the same rake angle as the forks. I found standing it up a little straighter helped with not having to duck as much to get out of the turbulence. I guess I finally got used to the thing, and I've kept it on for low-flying birds and rocks as much as wind. It helps in the rain too.

I'm not familiar with your brand though, so there's probably a difference there.

Comment

With a bigger shield, you kinda gotta watch how you park too, in relation to wind direction, as a wind from behind has will have more to push on and possibly knock your bike over. My state's kinda windy, with t-storms, and I've had it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Congatulations on the purchase of a 'shield.

I am not acquainted with the mounts on the Slipstreamer, but it's possible that they were not quite tight enough if the shield moved on you. With the mounts that my wife has on her National Cycle PlexiFairing, there are two down on the fork legs and two up on the handlebars for four widely-spaced mounting points. If I remember correctly, I had a Slipstreamer back in the late 70s on my small Kaws. They had four points where the shield attached to the mounts, but the mounts only clamped to the bars in two places, making it not very secure. I hope they have changed in the last 30 years.

Yes, it's normal to feel 'pushed around' a bit at speed. You now have a sizeable sail that is attached to the handlebars and it will do its best to try to tell you where to go. Be aware that most of the blasts that hit you are very momentary and will actually blow both ways. They will hit, then back off, so you will get used to just relaxing a bit and letting the bike dance just a bit. If you react quickly to the first blast, you will actually be adding to the counterblast that comes right behind it and will only compound the problem.

If you find that the air is a bit turbulent at face level, try adjusting the angle of the shield. It might sound backwards, but try leaning it back toward you. If it's too upright, it will have very turbulent air going over the top. If you angle it back a bit, it will smoothe out the airflow over the top, giving you a quieter ride.

This is all really helpful. I'll take a look at the spacing of my fittings and supports and make sure they're on nice and tight. And I'll watch my reactions to the wind.

Thanks for the tip about tilting the windshield back a bit. I'll give that a try and see if it helps with the beating my head is getting.

Thanks.

Comment

Just to give you an idea of the angle I'm talking about, click on the link for her bike in my signature, and also see the following pictures. The first one is of the bike as it is presently equipped. This is the PlexiFairing 3, which has slightly longer lower legs behind the turn signals. The second picture is from last summer, with the Plexifairing 2, but the mounting angle is rather similar.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the photos definitely help. I bought the bike without the stock headlamp and turn signals, so the brackets didn't fit as well as I would have liked. Looks like I'll need to do a little wrestling with them to see if I can adjust the angle of the shield to see if that improves the wind flow.

Thanks much. My windshield looks a lot like what you have on the first photo.

Comment

Working...
              X