Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 Engine Swap?

Hello to all here at the GS Resources.
    I'm glad to have found you guys. It has been years since I last owned a bike (83 gs 550e). I recently did a small side job (electrician) for a friend and being short on cash, he paid me with a 1978 GS1000 he had sitting in his garage for aprox 2 years. He did some work on the bike to try to get it running only to find that it is plauged with the infamous crankshaft problem I have read about here in the forum (crank has slipped out of proper position and now cylinders won't fire in proper sync). I have found a salvaged 1983 GS1100 at a local shop here in NY (Hudson Valley area) and the shop owner tells me he thinks the motor in his 83 GS1100 will swap into my 78 GS1000. I figured I would check here to see if anyone here at GS Resources could tell me if this is true or where I could find info on cross-ref of these two year/models. This bike has been garage kept over the years, is in great shape otherwise and is worthy of the work necessary to restore it. I'm looking forward to starting this as a winter project and look forward to talking to you guys in the future. If I can figure out how to post pics as I go I certainly will. Glad to see this forum back up and running, there's nothing out there like the GS Resources.
    Thanks!

search for "how to post pictures", theres a write up

83 1100 16v motor wont fit into 78 1000 without modifications to the engine mounts, exhaust brackets, and sprocket offsetting
    the carbs wont fit onto the airbox either

all in all, other than the motor, you'd need the exhaust and the carbs and switching to pod filters
    also, the ignitor is different

maybe easier to find another 1000 motor?
    or, restore the 1100 bike?

btw, never heard of that prob with the crankshaft
    GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post

btw, never heard of that prob with the crankshaft

Same here. And frankly, I don't see how that could happen. It's a modular crankshaft, but it's pressed together with splined pins. The only way for it to move is horizontally. There's just simply not enough power to spin the splines off of a big crankshaft. Does your buddy know what he's talking about? Could it be that the valves are out of time with the crank? If that's the case, yes, your engine is screwed and you should ship it to me right away. I'll get rid of it free of charge! Lol! Valve timing is pretty easy to set. You'll need a manual.

Comment

Twisting of the crank is possible, but not common. Issue is more common on the 16v 1100 engine. My understanding is that Suzuki started welding the cranks in 1982 as a running change to eliminate the problem.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I bought a parts bike (78GS1000), for $20.
          Pulled the head off, and cyl's 1 and 4 were NOT lined up. Out of synch. spun crank.

The engine was at least 2mm bored. (72mm bore, 70 is stock.)

The head was polished. Work had been done to it, and it spun the crank.

Comment

oh, i see, a twisted crank, sure i heard of it, but as nessism says, only on 1100 16v engines
            you can pull the cranck out and have it professionally trued, balanced and welded, and you should be good to go
            GS850GT

Comment

Any of the roller brg cranks can twist. The factory started welding them in 82. Back in 78 The factory race teams used a special glue when assembling their cranks to keep them from twisting. Maybe a pre locktite type glue ?? It would probably be easier to send the crank out & have it straitened if the brgs are ok. Or just find another crank..
              THEIR are NO splines on the crank just a press fit !!!!

Comment

If you decide you would rather another 1000 engine, I have a complete '78 gs1000 I am looking to sell for parts or restore, and I am in the hudson valley, NY.
                The engine runs, has a heli coil in one plug hole, and two busted exhaust studs. PM me if interested.
                $400.00

Comment

Thanks to all who replied to my post here. Sorry for the improper terminology there Psyguy- I did mean twisted crank,not shifted. I saw some other posts re this issue in bike mod thread. I will search further to see who is good at welding, balancing cranks- Any suggestions would be appreciated. You guys are great, glad your out there. Paco13 look for my PM.
                  Thanks.

Comment

GS1100 engine into GS1000 frame

My friends and I do this all the time. One of the front motor mounts has to be reversed and use shorter bolts for the bottom center mounts. Go with separate air filters and an aftermarket header.

I'm not aware of chain/sprocket alignment issues.

The valve cover comes real close to the bottom of the gas tank. Especially with an 1150 engine. Best to use a 80-82 750E tank or 80-81 GS1100E tank (the square headlight bikes). Bolts right onto the GS1000 frame and clears the taller engine.

Need a pix?

zuki.mike@snet.net

Mike Pellet

Comment

Thanks again everyone. I was just checking back here to see if anyone can advise on a good source to have the crankshaft on this '78 welded and balanced?
                      Thanks,
                      Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Todd-A-O! View Post
                        Thanks again everyone. I was just checking back here to see if anyone can advise on a good source to have the crankshaft on this '78 welded and balanced?
                        Thanks,
                        Todd
                        APE does that I THINK. If not Falicon does for sure. Both are pretty reputable..

Comment

Just make sure you specify that your crank is twisted and needs to be trued, and bearings/rods need to be checked. I recall someone on here sending there crank to be welded and recieved in return just that, A welded out of true/damaged crank!!

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                            I recall someone on here sending there crank to be welded and recieved in return just that, A welded out of true/damaged crank!!
                            That was me.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by paco13 View Post
                              Just make sure you specify that your crank is twisted and needs to be trued, and bearings/rods need to be checked. I recall someone on here sending there crank to be welded and recieved in return just that, A welded out of true/damaged crank!!
                              omg! that must have hurt, unexpectedly...
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X