Tires and tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tires and tubes

Hi Everyone, happy to be able to talk to you again.
    Thanks a ton, Frank. I have a $50 check heading your way.
    Here's what I have going on....

Going to be changing my tires soon. I'm taking off a rear 130/90/16 and a 100/90/19 front, the back is toast, the front looks decent, but I think it's best to change them both and start fresh.

The Suzuki parts michrofiche shows tubes for my rims/tires. So I'm going to order them, whether I end up using them or not, is to be determined.

Selecting the tube size can get a little confusing. I just picked the size that are the same as the tire size.,.,right ??

A special thanks in advance to bwringer, he's offered to help me......again, in his motorcycle shop.....er, I mean his garage. I can't wait to see how the tire balancer works.

It's taken me an hour to do this. Band of Brothers is on the History Channel. It's one of my favorite mini-series ever.

This is the combo I'm going with.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Shinko tires are a bit unknown. I'd go for some Cheng Shin HiMax tires or Kenda Challangers if you are on a budget. I've got Kenda's on my 850 and they seem to stick fine.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the Kenda's. I've read alot of tire threads and thought I'd give the Shinko's an evaluation. You may have me changing my mind now. I have a little xtra cash right now and would like a set of Avon AM26's, but can't find one to fit the back.

Is my assumtion on tube sizes correct ?
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I wouldn't go racing with them but for street they should be fine.Shinko started out taking over the old IRC ?? brand.

Comment

The correct size to fit the back on your bike in the Avon RoadRiders is the MT90-16. For some unknown reason, they used the letter size on this one.

Anyway, your assumption about the tube sizes is correct -- you order tubes based on the tire sizes.

A lot of sportybike guys use Shinko radials -- they're a pretty common replacement tire for saving a few bucks, and they work just fine unless you're chasing that last 1/10 second at a race track. So the brand, at least, is fairly well-known. I notice there are a couple of different Shinkos available -- which one were you going to get?

The Kendas are also pretty decent tires. I had these on my old KZ650, and they worked well in all kinds of weather and pushed pretty hard.

You're really not going to go too far wrong here -- the only tires I would definitely stay away from are the Cheng Shin Barracudas -- they're known to be very marginal. The Cheng Shin HiMax is an excellent choice, but may be getting hard to find since they're ending production for some reason.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I'll price up the Avons and see how much. Thanks for the info on the size. These guys play, "let's make everything has hard as possible" sometimes.

I was going to get the Shinko 712's. Both the Shinko's and the Kenda's are about $100 from tiresunlimited.
            I'll let you know the price of the Avon's.....

The Avon's would be $172. Time to talk to my financial advisor.........(shouts) Honey !!!!

As a side note, thanks to the mechnical confidence derived from this site, I changed a oil pressure sending switch on a '99 Mitsubishi Galant today. Fixed the oil light from coming on at a warm idle, the light wouldn't come on until the engine came to full temperture and only when idling.
            Thanks to the search forums at Mitsubishiforums.
            Last edited by Larry D; 10-18-2008, 06:31 PM. Reason: Update
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Order up!

Ordered the Shinko's. +- $115 delivered. The tubes are $29 delivered

I 'm going to take the $$ I would have spent on the Avon's and send it to Frank for fixing this wonderful resource......pun intended.
              I'm sure there were costs involved. Even if there weren't, his time and efforts for returning this site to life is worth my dollar every time.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X