Who knows this, what's the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows this, what's the answer?

Does anybody know if a gs650e motor which originally had a chain and sprockets be converted over to a shaft drive if all the pieces are there. Is it as simple as removing sprocket and adding shaft joint? Any answers are appreciated.

Sorry Ar as I understand it the engine cases are different,so it will be a "bit" more involved.
    Dink

Comment

Thanks Dink, My housing where the filter cap installs has a hole stripped out and left cover leaks. I figured I could get a chain type engine and install it on my 650 shaft, saving some money but adding some work. Guess I'll look into heli-coils.Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
        Thanks Dink, My housing where the filter cap installs has a hole stripped out and left cover leaks. I figured I could get a chain type engine and install it on my 650 shaft, saving some money but adding some work. Guess I'll look into heli-coils.Thanks again.
        Do you say that you have a stripped thread on the cover?????
        If the thread in the block on most any part of the bike is stripped. it can be tapped to one size over and naturally a larger bolt can be used.
        A tap is cheap and the job is quite simple--dont be intimidated by it--it just takes someone who is willing to be carefull and take his time.

a single tap is cheap.
        get a torque wrench

Comment

Slopoke, it is in the block. I considered attempting drilling and tapping but I didn't know if it would work or not. I heard helicoils were strong and that is the reason I mentioned it. I will look into retapping a bigger hole. Thanks for the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
            Slopoke, it is in the block. I considered attempting drilling and tapping but I didn't know if it would work or not. I heard helicoils were strong and that is the reason I mentioned it. I will look into retapping a bigger hole. Thanks for the idea.
            If its just a stripped hole in the block i believe you can just use a 1mm over-sized tap and then use an over-sized bolt. I don't think you said a bolt was broken in the block. I am doing that right now to the transmission oil pan on my toyota. A couple of the bolts are stripped. It is almost simple in an aluminum block.

Comment

Slopoke, I am not sure what I've got yet. I went to change the oil filter and the top 2 nuts came off. The bottom bolt just spins and the cover has not came loose yet. I almost believe the cover is glued on. I will probably tear into it this weekend and find out. I'm almost afraid to find out. It's amazing what you find when dealing with 20+year old bikes.

Comment

Working...
              X