Wes Cooley Replicas - How Many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wes Cooley Replicas - How Many?

Last month, I was injured and my MINT low mileage '79 GS1000S was wrecked by an old woman too senile to drive. Her insurance company won't pay squat for the bike.

Is there any place where I can find actual production numbers for this bike to prove it was a limited production model? Something published by the motorcycle equivalent of Edmunds.com.

I need something more credible than saying "I think it was around 650". This would help me leverage a more reasonable settlement for the loss.

Thanks in advance for your help. You can send links to:

zuki.mike@snet.net

It is truly appreciated.

Mike

There is one for sale on Craigslist in SoFla for $15,000. Try to convince them it's worth that much.

Comment

I've not yet found the definitive but working on frame numbers:

1st GS1000SN (1979) - Frame no: 521285
      1st GS1000ST (1980) - Frame no: 528511 (also the same as the ET).

As far as I've been able to ascertain (and this might bring more info out) all the SNs had a 52**** frame number so assuming that Suzuki used all the numbers in between it suggests 7226 SNs rolled out of the factory. Worldwide.

However, of probably more interest to you is that there is general agreement that the US only got somewhere between 500 and 700 of these. I've found the number 575 quoted in a few places as 'the definitive' but with nothing to back it up.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I heard every dealership only got one. TCK knows a little bit more about it, as that's who I heard it from.

Comment

Any chance for a link to that ad?

Originally posted by Odysseas View Post
          There is one for sale on Craigslist in SoFla for $15,000. Try to convince them it's worth that much.
          I looked at Craigs list for South Florida and couldn't find the ad. Could you help me out with a link to it? Maybe the seller would share the final price details for me when it sells.

Thanks!

Mike

Comment

1980 Frames

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            I've not yet found the definitive but working on frame numbers:

1st GS1000SN (1979) - Frame no: 521285
            1st GS1000ST (1980) - Frame no: 528511 (also the same as the ET).

As far as I've been able to ascertain (and this might bring more info out) all the SNs had a 52**** frame number so assuming that Suzuki used all the numbers in between it suggests 7226 SNs rolled out of the factory. Worldwide.

However, of probably more interest to you is that there is general agreement that the US only got somewhere between 500 and 700 of these. I've found the number 575 quoted in a few places as 'the definitive' but with nothing to back it up.

Here in the states, the '80 S model had factory rearset foot pegs. I can't see how they shared the same VIN numbers as the E models.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pellet View Post
              Here in the states, the '80 S model had factory rearset foot pegs. I can't see how they shared the same VIN numbers as the E models.

Mike
              The UK (plus rest of the world as far as I know) ST also had the rearsets but the frame numbers did run alongside the ET, even though the frames were slightly different to allow for the pegs.

The boundaries between the SN and ST models were slightly blurred - probably best described as the SN evolving, albeit pretty quickly, in to the ST and that's within single countries. Add in the differences between the US / UK and the luckier Kiwis and Australians (better cams and carbs) and you can see why the Japs decided to have just the one line of frame numbers.

Or maybe they only had one guy in the factory stamping the numbers on!
              79 GS1000S
              79 GS1000S (another one)
              80 GSX750
              80 GS550
              80 CB650 cafe racer
              75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
              75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

what a mess...
                and one hears how the japs are oh so well organised
                GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pellet View Post
                  I looked at Craigs list for South Florida and couldn't find the ad. Could you help me out with a link to it? Maybe the seller would share the final price details for me when it sells.

Thanks!

Mike
                  Searched for it tonight but can't find it again. It was yesterday when I saw it. Sorry.

Comment

The "S" I just purchased came from a retired Suzuki mechanic, the original owner. He said that for 1980 there were 342 released in the US, one for each dealership. I know that's not the published type info you're looking for, but seems to back up what was said earlier. Maybe contact Suzuki?

Comment

From Motor Cyclist On-line regarding the 1000S...

"Only about 700 examples of the 1979 model were imported into the United States. Figures vary for the 1980 model, but most sources place it at somewhat less than the '79."

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by russr33 View Post
                        The "S" I just purchased came from a retired Suzuki mechanic, the original owner. He said that for 1980 there were 342 released in the US, one for each dealership. I know that's not the published type info you're looking for, but seems to back up what was said earlier. Maybe contact Suzuki?
                        In 1980, there were about 1,450 Suzuki dealerships in the US. There were almost 100 in California alone...

Former Suzuki (and any other brand) dealership employees from "back in the day" have been shown to be quite unreliable in their information on this and other motorcycle forums over the years.
                        Last edited by Griffin; 10-19-2008, 10:40 PM.
                        sigpic

SUZUKI:
                        1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                        HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                        KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                        YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

I did send a letter to Suzuki

The letter just went out today to the US Suzuki Customer Service Department. They don't have an email connection as repair issues require documentation not easily emailed.

Although this is not a repair issue, I am hoping someone will take the time to find out for me. Their statement would be best of all and I wouldn't have to stand for the BS the insurance company is giving me.

Thanks for responding.

Mike

Comment

Great tip. Thanks!

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            From Motor Cyclist On-line regarding the 1000S...

"Only about 700 examples of the 1979 model were imported into the United States. Figures vary for the 1980 model, but most sources place it at somewhat less than the '79."

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fe...00s/index.html
                            Great article. This with a statement from US Suzuki (which I can only hope for) should be enough to make my point.

Mike

Comment

Write a letter stating your case and how much you want for your bike !!!!
                              Send a certified copy to the insurance Co & the driver. Give them 30 days to pay you and make you whole again so to speak. OR you will sue the driver in small claims court for the difference that the insurance Co will not pay !!!!!!!!!
                              SOMEONE hit you !!! they do not tell you how much YOU TELL THEM be stuborn..... Tell them about the big medical lawsuit you are going to file....
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X