Rear End "Stepping out" when applying rear brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear End "Stepping out" when applying rear brake

It kind of shifts to one side which can be a bit unnerving at a high speed. I know we dicussed this beforebut what could cause this.....I have new bearings and a new (relatively) back tire. Anything in particular to check or fix??

sounds as if the brakes are grabbing

Comment

Originally posted by bybowtie
      sounds as if the brakes are grabbing
      Could be they are the original brakes on the bike 81 GS750e.....Should I get new pads or what??

Comment

Hi Alwyn Probably the brake pads.You may have chain lube on them and the rotor.NOW you know another reason to get a Shaft! LOL

Comment

hoyterb Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:40 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alwyn Probably the brake pads.You may have chain lube on them and the rotor.NOW you know another reason to get a Shaft! LOL
          Now, I know this is much different than a shaftie, but the rotor is on the opposite side of the wheel than the chain. Don't feel bad, I always have to educate the shafties on the mechanical aspects of such things!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

So.....I should just clean the rotor or what...It is possible as I do use oil on the chain. What should I clean it with??

Comment

You can use aerosol brake cleaner but don't hose the crud on your wheels onto your discs I've found that the ABS sensor safe stuff (Canadian Tire brand) is incredibly slippery and it makes your brakes stop working for a few days.

Is there any slop in the pipe that holds your brake caliper? That would make things a little jerky.

Steve

Comment

Alwyn Get a can of Brakleen or Electrical parts
                cleaner and spray the pads and rotor very liberally with it.You may have to take the pads off to get everything well.It doesn't take much oil to make them very "grabby".While you're at it spray the front brakes also.Just don't get any cleaner on anything you don't want stripped especially plastics.
                Good Luck and happy riding!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro

Now, I know this is much different than a shaftie, but the rotor is on the opposite side of the wheel than the chain. Don't feel bad, I always have to educate the shafties on the mechanical aspects of such things!
                  you are doing a poor job educating us!! LOL the GS shafties have the shaft on the left side, and the brake rotor on the right, same as the chain driven GS bicycles, I mean bikes. :twisted:

Comment

It sounds as though your swingarm bearings are not tight and the brake is deflecting the swingarm.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Lobacz
                      It sounds as though your swingarm bearings are not tight and the brake is deflecting the swingarm.

Check the wheel alignment...you may have overadjusted one side when setting the chain tension.

Brakleen works very well at cleaning pads, and getting rid of grabs.

Be sure you have something absorbent as it makes a mess.

Don't try to save it for another occasion.....use it LIBERALLY.

And be sure you do both front and rear of the pads, then do the same on the front brakes.

It is a very good idea to do this at least twice in a season.
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys.........I will clean the pads and rotor very well check the allignment and the swingarm as well . That certainly should cure it

Comment

you are doing a poor job educating us!! LOL the GS shafties have the shaft on the left side, and the brake rotor on the right, same as the chain driven GS bicycles, I mean bikes.
                          That's right- the opposite side of the chain or shaft or whatever just like I said! Sorry again people- these shafties are really just a little bit slower than us in the chain gang! Just doing my part for the special education group!
                          Currently bikeless
                          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Alwyn Id check your pedal adjustment as well... To be truthful though being that they are the original pads you may want to go ahead and be safe and change them.... Better safe than sideways :P

Comment

I have an 81 GS 750E...Where to buy Brake pads?

Anyone know of a good source? Is one brand better than another??

Comment

Working...
                              X