Engine side cover bolt removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine side cover bolt removal.

I changed the drive chain on my 78 GS750EC last weekend and wanted to remove the engine side cover to see what kind of condition the engine chain sprocket was in. I don't think these bolts have ever been removed in the 30 year life of the engine and for fear of buggering up the phillips heads on the bolts, I never was able to get even one of the bolts out.
    My first question to Suzuki would be........of all of the head types to use on these kinds of bolt why did they choose a phillips type of head which is the easiest of all to strip on these soft metal screws.
    Does anyone out there have any tricks to successfully removing these 30 year old frozen bolts? Another of my biggest fears would be to twist the head right off of them.
    Thanks,
    GS750GUY

Get an impact driver. It's the only way to get them loose. If you don't know, it's basically a heavy duty screwdriver that has a cam mechinism. After placing the bit in the screw, you hit the end of the driver and it seats the bit and turns 15 degrees, if I remember right. You have to hit it, don't be gentle. They will come loose. One of the best tools I've ever purchased and invaluable for getting the stupid phillips heads out of old Suzuki's. I think mine was $25 from Sears, I'm sure you could find them cheaper, but I like Craftsman. ( I'm kinda hard on tools)
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Try soaking them with liberal amounts of PB Blaster for a couple of days.

Then, use a small rachet handle fitted with a Phillips head driver socket. (Advanced Auto sells a nifty little kit for around $15).

Before twisting the rachet, whack the driver socket firmly with a hammer, to drive the phillips drive into the screw head (use a good fitting driver head). It also may "break loose" the screw & hopefully it will then unscrew usng the rachet.

Take your time, and you won't strip the heads if the phillips drive fits well...

If that doesn't work, then an inpact wrench may be needed.

Good luck,

mike
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Impact driver is by far the best way to get these blighters out. You can improvise with a hammer / punch but you risk snookering yourself later with the impact. You'd be surprised how effective an impact is - I've rarely had a problem with steel in to alloy even on some bikes that have stood outside for 30 years in the UK weather. (Steel in to steel is different - they can be real sods...)

All the Jap manufacturers used these Phillips type (actually they are slightly different - JIS standard) as they are quick and easy to put on in the factory.
        79 GS1000S
        79 GS1000S (another one)
        80 GSX750
        80 GS550
        80 CB650 cafe racer
        75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
        75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

use Rust blaster, soak them.. and get a JIS screwdrivers.. as these are not your daddy's phillips screws!

Comment

Get a Craftsman impact driver. I've beat the crap out of mine and it still works great. When removed go to a local bolt house and replace those pos bolts with some allen style.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

An impact driver will work wonders...

Comment

GS 750 GUY. I had the same trouble with mine. I think the japanese wanted revenge on us.And to show us there superiorority started using those junk phillip head screws that are on the asian bikes to SCREW with us. [JUST MESSIN WITH YA]. you can use a impact driver.That seemed to work for me. Just remember not to wollop it too hard.Those sidecovers are not indestructable and the bosses around thoe screws have been known to break from stress. ''GOOD LUCK ,AND KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP''

Comment

those screw heads are # 3 phillips size..
                  if all else fails, drill the head off of the screw(s) and when the covers removed you can grab it with a pair of( heat at the case area where the screw goes in helps) visegrips, pipe wrench or a strong set of jaws with used dentures ect..

Comment

Impact driver

OK...I have an impact driver that I got from sears about 30 years ago. It's in perfect condition and works great. BUT...

I decided to replace the tip since it was so old and I wanted a smaller one for the little carb screws. Guess what??? the salesman at Sears had NEVER HEARD OF and impact driver like mine. He did allow that it might be a good idea. lol What he had; called an "impact wrench" is an air driven tool, and not at all what we are talking about here. We couldn't find anything in the print catalogue that looked or sounded anything like my old impact screwdriver.

If you go on line, you're looking for item numer 00947641000 at Sears.com for $24.99

There is a smaller version, item no: 00990131000, that looks like it could do the job for $5 less, but since mine has lasted 30 years, I'd go the extra five bucks.

Press it up tight to those little stuck screws and whale away with your hammer. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Working...
                    X