Slight Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slight Oil Leak

I am getting very frustrated. My 850 has a slight oil leak on the left side (while sitting on bike). I have replaced the valve cover gasket. The old one was in bad shape. I saw a drip this morning come from under the left front valve cover cap. I have doped the crap out that little rubber plug under the cap and evidently to no avail. I am about to order 4 new plugs, another valve cover gasket, and a cylinder head gasket.

What am I going to run into in doing this?
    Should I dope up the gasket in any way with RTV before putting it back together?
    I do have a Clymer manual for the bike so I will be able to find the torque specks.

When I replaced the valve cover gasket it was really no problem. Should I expect worse going deeper into the engine? I have been quoted $900 for an entire gasket replacement kit from a local shop. I didn't pay that much for the bike.

Thanks

This is what I am looking to replace. I got this from bikebandit.

11141-49002 Cylinder Head Gasket $63.42
    09241-23002 Cylinder Plug $3.52 X 4
    11174-45000 Side Cap $16.62
    02132-05127 Screw $1.02 X 2
    11173-45002 Valve Cover Gasket $24.48

The Cylinder Head Gasket is what worries me. I have replaced the Valve Cover Gasket once before and didn't seem to be a big deal.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

- Cam end half moon plugs. From my experience those will make big difference. I tried gasket sealer but leaked again relativley soon. Replaced them, no leak all last season and so far this season. Mine did not seem deformed or anything, but it was not till I got the new one that I realised they were rubber! And as you have found, they are not expensive.
      - Head gasket. Did that on both bikes (then learnt to not down shift so hard when comming to stop, and to not get stuck in beach traffic). Is more of a job because then you get into cam chain and cam timeing ectera (follow manaul, I like Clymers better than Suzuki). And as long as you have head off, might as well take in to touchup valves and check clearance.

Keep these old Zukis GS on the road!
      http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Re: Slight Oil Leak

Originally posted by TankMan
        I have been quoted $900 for an entire gasket replacement kit from a local shop. I didn't pay that much for the bike.
        That sounds like an aweful lot for a gasket kit... If I remember correctly, an after-market gasket kit for my '79 550L was about $150 Canadian, a couple of years ago.

Michael

Comment

I have been quoted $900 for an entire gasket replacement kit from a local shop. I didn't pay that much for the bike.
          I assume this is with the labor to install them (I hope)!!!! I bought an entire Versah engine gasket kit form Terry Connant (fellow web site member) for around $50 a year ago! Even out of Dennis Kirk (who are complete crooks as far as thier prices) a complete kit is around $170. I think e-bay might even have one on there right now.

P.S.- Terry, if you are out there and have any more of those 1100E gasket kits, let me know. I would be happy to buy one more!!!
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yes the $900 was all inclusive.

I just purchased the plugs from the dealer for $4.99 each. I hope to get them installed tonight, at least the leaky one.

Do I need to goop it up in any way?

Comment

I too have an oil leak, but mine is coming from the clutch cover. I had the cover off to replace the clutch, and I replaced the gasket, after cleaning up the surfaces. It started seeping oil, only when hot, but a consistant slow drip. Just enough to be very annoying. So I pull the cover again, and get a new gasket, I very carefully scrape all old gasket off, and put the cover back on, same problem. So now I want to do it again, this time with some goop, is this ok to do? I was told to just put it on dry, but it doesn't seem to be working. Suggestions?

Comment

Luke: Did you retorque the screws once the leak appeared? Where is it leaking, is it where the two cases meet? If you replace the gasket again clean the mating surfaces off with a solvent and put a very thin layer of RTV on each surface. This will also hold the gasket in place during installation.

Steve

Comment

I seeps between the cover and the case. Would Carb cleaner be a good thing to use for the clean up?

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of varsol, paint thinner, or gas (if careful). I've never tried carb cleaner to dissolve oil so I don't know how well it works.

Where is the actually leak, it isn't the entire clutch cover is it? That would be hard to believe unless it was really badly warped.

Steve

Comment

It seems to be from the bottom of the cover, but it's kinda hard to tell, as it will travel a bit in the seem. I'll check it again tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom
                        I seeps between the cover and the case. Would Carb cleaner be a good thing to use for the clean up?
                        I don't actually know what the effect will be... But you might want to be careful using carb cleaner around aluminum parts, as aluminum seems to respond poorly to a lot of common chemicals.

Michael

Comment

And now back to my original question. Do I need any RTV around the plugs?

Comment

Not to change the subject but go to Advance Auto for your plugs...1.29 for autolites...1.79 for NGK.....dealers are such rip offs on some stuff...

Comment

If you are going to use anything go to that rip off shop(local yamaha dealer) and get a tube of yamabond 4...6-7 bucks. Make sure its gray NOT black. Use alcohol(acetone is better) and clean your surfaces very good.

Comment

Working...
                              X