Exhaust bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust bolts

I recently bought an 82 gs550L. when I got the motor running I took the bike completely apart to go through it and rebuild it. When I got to taking the exhaust off I broke a few bolts off and one was a sheet metal screw!! Heres my question...I plan on taking the motor to a local machine shop and praying he can get the broken bolts out because I dont think I could do it with an extractor. Assuming he can get them out and I can reuse these holes, what do I do about the hole that was a sheet metal screw. Whoever did that really screwed it up. The hole is off center and you can still see part of the broken off bolt. Im hoping this doesnt make the motor useless.

those old exhaust bolts succcck. i broke two starting my restoration. someone on this board should be able to provide a link to some hex/allen head bolts that will fit in the stock spots. as far as the buggered hole.. the only thing i can think is helicoil or see what the machine shop can do for you.

Comment

I was thinking about a helicoil also. Hopefully the hole is not too far off center to be able to make it right and useable.

Comment

Any Good machine shop should be able to fix you up. Worst case they may have to weld the one bolt hole & re dril and tap it If there is any of the stud sticking out they should be able to weld a nut onto it for removal

Comment

If you're taking the head to a machine shop to deal with the other holes, let them deal with this one as well. They should have no trouble fixing it one way or another.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X