NICE RESTO, SH#T, dinged the tank,help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NICE RESTO, SH#T, dinged the tank,help

Well I just completeted a real nice resto on a 1983 GS1100E, came out awesome, however a BEE attacked my brother at the gas pumps, he dropped the damn nozzle on the tank, he's very allergic to bee's and could die, and yes he is a puss--scared of Fricken bee's, (be a man) haha---anyway how do I get the huge dent out of the tank-------any help --thanks

You can try draining the gas & then using an air nozzle to SLOWLY pressurize the tank to see if it will pop out. If that doesn't work try a Paintlless Dent Removal company. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Dent removal

If the dent can be accessed by a paintless dent removal tool, this is the best way to go. If done well, you might get away without repainting. Try an automotive body shop that specializes in paintless dent repair. Best to drain the tank and remove it from the bike.

rickt

Comment

I don't think air pressure would help with the sort of dent caused by a falling object.

Drain and clean the tank so it doesn't smell like gas at all, then find a body shop that does PDR. Shouldn't take them long.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it werent the top of the tank, Id suggest filling it with water, sans petcock (block the hole off with a plate of alu or something) and cap and stick it in a deep freezer. But i dont think that will work on the top of the tank. Better let the pros handle that. And take the keys away from your brother.

Comment

I have a few buddies that are licensed to do PDR. It's truly amazing what they can get to look perfect again. With the paint being fairly fresh from your resto, should be pliable enough yet that you won't get stress cracks in it. Should be good to go.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            And take the keys away from your brother.
            A VERY wise thing to do! I don't know if my bro would be alive still if he did this to one of my bikes. A little bee that "might" kill him would be the least of his worries.

Comment

Working...
            X