Couldn't Resist!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't Resist!

Even though I didn't get the '78 GS750 restoration finished this year, I just had to post a couple of pics. Many on the list contributed to this project and my thanks go out to them all. Just a few items to install in the spring and hopefully, she'll be ready to ride. The bike was parked in 1981 with 2098 original miles. Every part that was not perfect was polished, painted or replaced. The restoration has taken the better part of two years. Come Spring, I'll add the carbs, airbox, engine case emblems and see if she runs as good as she looks.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Lookin' good!!!

Are those the stock rear shocks??

I'll bet you're chompin' at the bit to get her running!

mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Wow, rick. That really looks amazing!

What type of tires are those?

Comment

See, the 2 CT guys are right on it!
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
        '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD
        '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

WooHoo!!! That sure does look pretty. I love the stock look and the wire wheels. Great job you've done.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

More info

The tires are Cheng Shin Hi Max - came highly recommended by the board - just happened to notice that the company is getting out of the motorcycle tire business - better stock up on your tires now!

Shocks and fork springs are Progressive Suspension.

Paint is PPG acrylic urethane original color - minus decals (bought them but liked the "clean look" and didn't apply them).

Many of the fasteners that couldn't be polished were replaced by stainless.

The only major flaw is the exhaust system - the PO (who gave me the bike under the condition that I would restore it and let him ride it at least once) thought it would be a good idea to remove the minor pitting with a Brillo pad - not a great idea. Maybe a four in one system at some point, but right now I love the stock look.

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous-congratulations, your hard work has definitely paid off. When I see seventies-eighties bikes in their "as-new" condition like this I don't see how the plastic-covered marvels on the road today can even begin to compare for sheer eye appeal.

How did you finish your frame-was it powder coated or sprayed?

Comment

Frame finish

Didn't have a helper so I had to finish the frame with the engine in. Sanded, ground, and wire-brushed to eliminate the rust and then sprayed with PPG epoxy primer followed by three coats of gloss black acrylic urethane.

Would have preferred powder coating, but I kind of enjoy doing my own spraying and painting the frame with the engine there was quite a challenge!

Comment

That is beautiful ..

Comment

Wow nice work. Sweeeet bike. Maybe mine will look that clean one of these days. Not likely, but maybe. Again, very nice work. Clearly a labor of love.
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Sweeet! very nice indeed... I love the color!

Comment

Wow, If my bike looked that nice I would be afraid to touch it. I would be worried about everything. Great job.

Comment

That thing is beautiful. Good job on the restoration. As soon as spring arrives in Minnesota next August, enjoy your rides.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                          '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                          '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                          '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                          '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                          X