what to do what to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do what to do

sooo i was taking my 79 gs 550 apart to do some routine maintenance the other day and of course one of my exhaust bolts broke in half, and because i didnt want to pull the engine i tried a size to small of an easy out and it also broke..... so now im stuck with a flush bolt/hardened steel easy out...anyone have any suggestions??

ha ha not a good day

richardgrhett -

I feel your pain. Had this happen to my old ford mustang, broken easyout inside a broken bolt, i can tell you what worked for me:

I pretty much had to use a LOT of cutting oil, a couple drill bits and time....
    ...and it took me a LONG time to drill through everything, you may want a drill that pluggs into the wall rather then batt operated here....

also make sure to drill pretty deep, you want to get a little furthor in then the previous easy-out made it.

good luck with this one, those bolt can be a pain but persevere and you'll make it!!!

Comment

Is your riding season over? Pull the head and get a machine shop to get it. Then you won't be pulling the head anyway and looking for another one. While you're in there put in new valve stem seals, check the valve seats, valves and clean things up..
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

All you need is a small carbide tip grinding wheel / drill / or any other carbide cutting tool and an angle or straight air grinder. I have had this happen on quads and other rides as well, not the end of the world. Very carefully grind out the easy out and retap the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by gsryder View Post
          All you need is a small carbide tip grinding wheel / drill / or any other carbide cutting tool and an angle or straight air grinder. I have had this happen on quads and other rides as well, not the end of the world. Very carefully grind out the easy out and retap the hole.
          That's how I do it. Dremel and a decent carbide bit. A buddy of mine broke an "easyout" (torx bit he uses as an easyout) in one of the three bolts he broke cuz he didn't listen to me. I've heard reverse drill bits work well too. I plan on picking some of them up before tackling this job.

He tried torching things and doing all kinds of bad ideas. Finally I told him to leave it and I'll work my magic.

If you don't want to bother with it, take the head off and send it out. It's likely gonna be easier, unless you have some trouble getting the head off like I did with my 1000.

Comment

Working...
          X