Warm up opinion wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm up opinion wanted.

I have a 78 GS750EC with a hair over 12,000 miles on it. The bike starts right up with just a bump on the starter button, and it idles beautifully.
    The other morning with outside air temperatures at about 55 degrees I fired the bike up, adjusted the choke to idle at about 2000 RPM's for a minute or two while putting on my jacket, gloves, and helmet. I bumped the choke down to where the bike was now idling at about 1300 RPM and hopped on and took off. I noticed it was probably a full mile down the road before the engine seemed to be at operating temperature and I could shut the choke completely off without the engine dying. After this short warm up and the choke finally turned off the bike performs flawlessly.
    I have had others tell me that the GS's can tend to be a little on the cold blooded side and some tell me that my warm up seems a little long to them. Of course those that are telling me this are riding much newer and more modern bikes.
    Does what I describe above seem to be a normal warm up senario for many of you out there?
    Thanks,
    GS750GUY

These bikes left the factory set up a bit lean and are hence, as you describe, cold-blooded beasts. Some bikes warm up quicker than others in my experience but that's 'just because they do'.

You could richen things up a tad with the airscrews but if it's otherwise running fine I'd leave it alone.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Most GS owners twiddle the idle mixture screws slightly richer. This also shortens warmup time and improves throttle response off idle a bit.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I live in Ohio and ride my 81 GS750 every day. I go thru about the same routine you do. I dont have a choke cable on mine so I get it started and then let it idle for a good 5 min while get my gear on, then I just run the hell out of it for the first 2 or 3 miles by then its purring like a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
          I have a 78 GS750EC with a hair over 12,000 miles on it. The bike starts right up with just a bump on the starter button, and it idles beautifully.
          The other morning with outside air temperatures at about 55 degrees I fired the bike up, adjusted the choke to idle at about 2000 RPM's for a minute or two while putting on my jacket, gloves, and helmet. I bumped the choke down to where the bike was now idling at about 1300 RPM and hopped on and took off. I noticed it was probably a full mile down the road before the engine seemed to be at operating temperature and I could shut the choke completely off without the engine dying. After this short warm up and the choke finally turned off the bike performs flawlessly.
          I have had others tell me that the GS's can tend to be a little on the cold blooded side and some tell me that my warm up seems a little long to them. Of course those that are telling me this are riding much newer and more modern bikes.
          Does what I describe above seem to be a normal warm up senario for many of you out there?
          Thanks,
          GS750GUY

Yours is about the same as my 1100. Usually though after the two mins the choke is completely off.

Comment

Bikes with CV carbs will benefit noticeably from raising the needle; cold drivability is improved. Do a search for details on how to do this if you don't understand the process. For bikes with VM carbs, the drivability can be improved by opening the pilot fuel screw by 1/8 - 1/4 turn. Made a difference on my bikes anyway.
            Last edited by Nessism; 10-21-2008, 05:03 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by isleoman
              If your bike otherwise runs good then I think your doing it just right and wouldn't change a thing. The FZ1 board's motto and I think it a good one, is "Ride more, worry less"
              Why live with an issue like this when a 20 minuet fix puts it to bed?
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

i have to choke mine every single time i start it, but by the time i hit 3rd or 4th gear i can kill the choke and she runs perfect.....

Comment

sounds in line with mine. .takes a mile or two to get it going.. sometimes a hair longer ,depending on how hard i hit the throttle early on.

Comment

Exactly the same for my 83 750E. A minute or so on full choke (enricher). dial it down to 1/3 and ride away. A minute later and choke off. Its the same summer, winter,fall and spring. Once its warmed up it fires first button everytime.

I wouldn't fart around with it as it seems normal to me. When you get to playing with it you stand a chance of making it worse

Fire it up and ride man.

Cheers,
                    Spyug
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2008, 10:49 PM.

Comment

There are three bikes here that get ridden somewhat regularly and surprisingly, all seem to survive on the same technique.

After some considerably experimentation, the "sweet spot" in the enrichener lever position has been found. Seems to be just under half-way on all three bikes. Set the lever, start the bike, verify that rpm is not over 2500. Put on helmet and gloves, back off the enrichener to keep rpm under 1500, head on out. By the time we are in second or third gear, 'choke' is turned off completely. This is regardless of ambient air temp. If the bike is still warm from a previous ride it will likely not need any 'choke'.

Oh, the three bikes? My Wing, wife's 850L and son's 850G.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok joke time...

One GS rider said to another, "sure is warm out today" the other replied, "yeah, no choke" hahaha i thought of that as i rode of into the very cold afternoon

Comment

In the sig line just above:
                          Originally posted by ohgoodtimes View Post
                          -The bike is older than me, can you say that?
                          No, afraid I can't say that. In fact, I had already hit the age where you were not to be trusted and had already been married for five years.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X