Installing Seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Seat

I just recently acquired a 1982 GS1100E. Is it me or does everybody else find it difficult to put the seat back on. I have to reach underneath and hold the two hooks down while I push the seat forward, then I can push down the back to engage the rear latch. I had a 82 about 10 years ago and I don't remember having to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

The FIRST thing I have always done on EVERY 1100 I've owned is remove those POS latches! The seat will stay on fine & the headache will be gone! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by pauly View Post
      I just recently acquired a 1982 GS1100E. Is it me or does everybody else find it difficult to put the seat back on. I have to reach underneath and hold the two hooks down while I push the seat forward, then I can push down the back to engage the rear latch. I had a 82 about 10 years ago and I don't remember having to do this. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
      Paul
      Proper way....
      unlock rear latch with key leaving key in just in case you don't get it right the 1st time
      place seat over bike while a hand on each side latch holding them back and open, as you slide front of seat under lip by tank
      while holding side latches use your CHIN and press down on the back til it latches
      note: you can substitute your nose, forehead or chest for your chin...whichever sticks out farther...just don't use your crotch area as this will cause people to question your relationship with your beloved GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
        while holding side latches use your CHIN and press down on the back til it latches
        Im able to move the seat forward, with the side latches, enough to just release them and then latch the back lock. Leave the key in the lock is a good idea.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Just take those annoying, useless, garbage, waste of time latches off & put them in a box in case you want to sell them down the road. I have NEVER had a seat come off or even feel loose without them on the bike & you will be done with the annoyance of them! LOL!!!! Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Thanks Guys
            I do the chin technique right now but taking the latches off sounds like a good idea. I only do the chin technique when I'm not in public lol!!
            Paul

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X