1980 gs850gl wiring hell. HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 gs850gl wiring hell. HELP!

I recently bought a 1980 gs850gl, and the wiring is totally f$#@ed. I REALLY don't want to have to rewire the whole thing, but I'm thinking that's what i'm going to have to do.

there was a 3 point toggle switch wired to cross the contacts on top of the solenoid, and when i first got it, the switch, not the start button, fired the ignition. key not needed. i took the gas tank off to check the wiring because i couldn't get a spark at the plugs, and now it won't even crank. wiring harness is a jumble of quickCrimp connectors, heat shrinks, and twisted wires wrapped in electrical tape.

a color wiring diagram would help, the black and white in the manual is confusing. i have a multimeter, battery charger, new spark plugs, all the tools i think that are necessary. now all i need is some direction...

help?

Wiring harness

Start scrounging for a replacment wiring harness(EBAY). Who knows what else may be screwed up?

Comment

Try this link and see if it's useful for you.

Comment

what other models/years have the same harness, or one that would work? ebay only has 4 hits, and none look appealing especially.

Comment

thanks don. so much simpler.

i think i'm going to enlist one of my fraternity brothers that's an electrical engineer. should be cake if he helps.

got it back to turning over, still no spark. 12 volts @ the orange&white before the coil, nothing @ the end of the plug wire. new spark plugs, does that mean it's the coils? my dad and i rebuilt a 76 gt550 and he says it's unlikely that both are bad...

Comment

Don't ever buy my bike. You'd hate me.
            I've rewired quite a bit there. It's all soldered and clean but a newbie with the wiring diagramn would rip it out.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you can read a road map you can read a wiring diagram, just follow from point a to point b. I have made alot of changes to my wiring too that I really must label so when I take that last ride to the beyond the next owner won't be bitching about the "PO". I should also write down this site for my wife so you guys will have first dibs on the bike when I go. Of course by then it will be about a 60 year old bike and it might be hard to find gas, lol.

Comment

Working...
              X