Which Bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Bearings?

Hi, thanks for the responses I received on a previous post about engine swapping engines between two GS1000GLs.

The reason for considering engine replacement is because I found bearing cage pieces stuck to my oil drain plug. See photo at http://s480.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=Photo003.jpg

What kind of investigation can I do to either diagnose which bearing is affected or eliminate the ones that are not affected? I figure I should exhaust the engine repair options before going to replacement

I can't hear any noise from the bottom end, does this eliminate the crankshaft bearings?

A symptom that I noticed was that when the bike is idling in neutral and you pull in clutch and immediately put the bike in gear it makes grinding noises. If the clutch is disengaged for a few moments and the bike is put in gear it does not grind at all... in fact it engages TOO smooth, there is no clunk into gear or any slight pull forward like I am used to on other bikes (chain or shaft drive) - maybe I'm out to lunch!

Thanks
    Steve P

If you found those stuck to the drain plug...you're going to have to tear that thing completely down and start over.

I can't even venture a guess at what they are...but that is not good.....

Comment

I'd say one of the end bearings from the tranny shafts. I know they're ball bearings. Just take the lower case off and pull the tranny shafts out. Should be one of those bearings. My guess is the output shaft since it doesn't make noises until you've put it into gear. Just hope that nothing is broke or wore other than the bearing. You'll have to pull the clutch off to get the cases apart. Get one of the downloadable manuals from BassCliff's site, it'll show you all the steps. Doesn't cost anything to take it apart and check it out before spending cash on another engine.

Comment

It looks like mainshaft or layshaft bearings to me. It will require you to remove the engine and split the crankcases to see exactly where they came from and replacements will be required.
        Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM.

Comment

My fears confirmed!

Fortunately I have the replacement engine. You're right, pulling it apart doesn't cost anything

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X