No announcement yet.

Carbtune and colortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colourtune is a cracking tool - cheap, easy to use and has more uses than what it says on the box. I wouldn't be without mine.

It's designed really for only setting your slow run mixture. However, if you turn your multicylinder bike in to a single by pulling off the other plug leads you can check the mixture on each cylinder at other throttle openings without the motor revving its head off. (For obvious reasons this doesn't work on singles!)

Plus one cylinder not firing properly but the exhaust getting hot so you can't tell which one? Pop in the Colourtune and you'll see immediately. I can't even hazard a guess how many blocked pilot jets I've found on multis using this method - it's usually the first port of call if a bike has a bad tickover.

Mine's around 30 years old, has had loads of use and still works fine. Oh, and it cleans up like new in the diswasher (don't tell her indoors).
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

As noted above, the Colortune plug will get you in the ballpark. Then you do the fine tuning by ear and by feel.

It's a great thing to have around when something is wrong, you're getting confused, or if you don't even have a baseline setting to start with. If you work on several different bikes, it's very useful.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
      X