Intermediate loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermediate loss of power

Hi, My son recently bought an 81’ GS650G. We are new to Suzuki’s and motorcycles in general. I have found a wealth of knowage on this site. When we bought the bike the carbs where leaking fuel into the airbox so we pulled them off and took them to a mechanic and he cleaned and bench flowed them. We reinstalled the carbs and found it would run ok but had no power. After some investigation we discovered that the intake boots where shot. We replaced the boots and o-rings with new ones. We have also replaced the airfilter. Now it has the loss of power on a intermediate basis, sometimes it runs like a scalded ape other times it can’t get out of it’s own way. Where should we look next? Thanks

Check fuel flow from the petcock. This is a part that should just be replaced to insure good fuel flow.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think the petcock is working semi-well fuel seems to flow ok when it's in the prime position but the engine doesn't run differently with the petcock in any of it's positions. The petcock does get wet with gas when you turn the valve stem. If petcock wasn't working wouldn't you at least a small burst of power from the fuel in the float bowels before they where starved from the lack of fuel from the petcock?

Comment

In my experience a bad petcock will show intermediate issues.
        The problems really show up at highway speeds where there is more need of fuel.

If you are certain this is not the issue than check the vent lines off the carbs and the vent in the fuel cap.

If these aren't the issue move to ignition.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

I think the petcock is working semi-well fuel seems to flow ok when it's in the prime position but the engine doesn't run differently with the petcock in any of it's positions. The petcock does get wet with gas when you turn the valve stem. If petcock wasn't working wouldn't you at least a small burst of power from the fuel in the float bowels before they where starved from the lack of fuel from the petcock?

Comment

Bad petcocks do not flow fuel consistently. This would cause bursts of power and no power periods.
            Bad venting will also cause poor power.
            So will weak coils
            Bad connections and/or low voltage at the coils and ignition
            Bad battery
            Bad coils at the crank trigger
            Poor grounds
            Low compression
            Poor sealing valves
            Worn out cam chain
            Bad spark plugs
            Dirty carbs

Comment

i had to replace plugs and wires to fix a weird intermitant problem with power.. i second checking those. (and of course everything else chef says, he's a guru!)

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                i had to replace plugs and wires to fix a weird intermitant problem with power.. i second checking those. (and of course everything else chef says, he's a guru!)
                I'm no guru. I'm humbled by the guys at the Dragstrip. Check out some of Lecroy (Mark's) posts. He's a guru.
                I was just trying to figure why the same post was posted twice. Didn't like what was said? I almost went somewhere I'd regret but you can't really tell peoples intentions on the net.

Comment

I just hit the button twice by accident, sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X