81 GS450L questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS450L questions

While installing the carbs on my bike I crossthreaded a bolt in the airbox. I had to cut it off because the bolt just spun in the plastic housing of the airbox.
    While removing all the electronics from the bracket to try and get the airbox out, the reg/rectifier (a year old from electrosport) fell on the floor and broke a piece of one of the fins off.
    Here are the questions.

Anybody have the bracket that holds the electronics? (it got chewed up trying to get to the bolt head.)

Is the reg/rectifier now junk?

How do I get the airbox out and does anyone have one?
    It looks like i may be able to finagle it out if I remove the carbs but it's tight. I also looked at trying to get it out through the rear by taking the tire and fenders off. What are your thoughts?
    This happened just in time for me to notice the forum is back up! I have also listed a request for these items in the "parts wanted" section as well.
    I have a windscreen and backrest to trade too. Here they are on the bike.
    The backrest is for a bigger bike but I made it work with some spacers. They are used and not in perfect shape but fully functional. The backrest has some rust nd the windscreen hardware is not original. They are both disassembled and packed to ship already.
    Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM.

I too have an 81 gs450L. I all but gave up on gtting the airbox out. I barely got it to move to install the carbs. Hopefully some one has a clue as to getting them out so we both will know lol.
    I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
    1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Judging by the manuals I have you have to remove the entire engine and pull it forward! I'm just hoping someone has done it before without engine removal. I don't want to pull the whole rear end apart and find it won't get out that way. I still have to put a new one back in! I've got all winter but I got my sv done and was lazy with the GS and let my lil commuter sit all summer. Not next year, that thing needs to get back on the road.

Comment

Just keeping it fresh. Anybody?

Comment

Pull the carbs so that you can have some room to move. Take the lid off of the box. Push it forward towrds the engine, turn it on its side and pull it up through the frame. I think you have to pull the rear fender and inner fender to get it out.
          As for the stripped hole, I'd leave this air box in and just use a bigger bolt.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Working...
          X