safely cross referencing BS32SS carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

safely cross referencing BS32SS carbs

when i'm looking for a carb kit, and i don't find my model/year GS listed, can i safely reference any model/year known to have the same model carbs?
    my 550T doesn't seem to exist on any discount suppliers parts lists!

I would say yes, my Clymer manual lists the BS32SS as the carb used on all GS650 models 81-83.

Comment

my 81, your 81, the 81 GS850G, the 82 GSX750E...

... yet the carb "expert" my son-in-law hooked me up w/ told me flat out not to convert the air intake to pods 'cause there's no conversion kit for the carb jets...!!
      i share your opinion Fred, and thank you for the reply, but i'll have to try finding another local "expert" for a stronger 2nd opinion.

Comment

i would like to correct your son in law. i have 81 gs550t granted i haven't used carbs rebuild kits for it, but i was able to install a dynojet stage 3 jet kit on my bike, the only trick was i had to order a jet kit for the 82 gs550 katana. after doing some comparinson with my factory manuel the 81 and 82 carbs and engine are the same and are interchangeable i would also assume the 1980 model is same too. i am a little confused do you want to install a jet kit in your bike or just buy carb rebuild kits. if you want a jet kit, k an n power sports have jet kit for 40 bucks, thats where i got mine. one more thing if you do go with a jet kit you MUST buy the K and N clamp on air filters model # (rc2382) any other filter will not work (don't ask). if you have any further questions about you 550 t feel free to ask me, i just recently went down that road and have a great deal of info on aftermarket parts that work well on the 550 t.

Ryan
        78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x
        10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

sorry for the delay.. i've been ???

thanks Ryan

i was considering the advantages of tearing out the air box/filter assy and using pod filters to ease the somewhat annual removal and cleaning of the carbs.
          i was informed previously that i would need a jet kit (?) installed to accommodate the increase in air flow thru the carbs.. not having any experience beyond the tedious cleaning process, i sought a referal thru my ever helpful heir. i figured he and his expert were just under-informed on the specifics, but the guys insistance there was no way to modify that model/year carb was telling.

my thought now is to forego the jetting and pods and put a carb kit into it so the gaskets, etc. match my new intake manifolds (tubes). i assume some fresh components might help after 22 years.
          as far as i'm concerned the machine delivers everything i ask of it stock, and i've read a number of interesting methods to ease the carb out and in -- which should help preserve the new manifolds.
          now i need to find an effective fuel filter...

Comment

he and his expert were just under-informed on the specifics, but the guys insistance there was no way to modify that model/year carb was telling.
            well i can reassure you that you CAN get a jet kit ( K & N stage 3 part# 81-9287) and k and n pods (rc-2382) for your bike. the jet kit is not specifcly listed for your/my bike but an 82 gs550 kat jet kit will work perfectly fine. this is what i have installed in my bike (a 81 gs 550t) and i have had no problems, or had to fabricate anything to make it work. my only concern is that buying a 4 carb rebuild kits gets pretty expensive, if your jets and innereds are in good shape then i wouldn't bother getting carb rebuild kits. you can order a set of o-rings for your carbs that will cover all 4 carbs for 14 bucks http://home.att.net/~robert.barr/#Outside%20of%20the and if your float bowl gasket is still intacted just clean it off good, scrapeinging with a razor and carb cleaner. my bowl gasket is 22 years old too and works fine, i just installed new o-rings last year and it works awsome.

i'm not trying to fight you, just want other gs550t owners to know that it can be done, and since there is not really many other things you can do to the 550 i just want to stress it. as one of the few performance mods

Ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

On my 81 850 I have the same carbs....I also have a set of carbs from an 83 750. All of them are BS32SS. Me thinks maybe your heir is not wanted pops to be able to stay with him thru the gears.

Comment

"" i'm not trying to fight you, just want other gs550t owners to know that it can be done, and since there is not really many other things you can do to the 550 i just want to stress it. as one of the few performance mods ""

we're all in agreement... ryan.
                jr. and his buddy don't know what they're talking about!!
                ..as for my not being able to keep up ..that's never been a problem.

anywho, now i've got the part #s and can proceed as the situation dictates -- all the better -- my money tree has gone dormant since february.

thanks for the input..

Comment

Working...
                X