No announcement yet.

Give up and go to bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just to note a 8.8 metric is equivalent to a grade 5 in SAE.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul_IOFJS View Post
      As for the studs or bolts themselves, just take the old one in to you local CarQuest or NAPA auto parts store or even Ace or True Value hardware stores, and the friendly folks there should be able to fix you up with what you need a lot cheaper than paying to ship something that small from an internet source.
      I took the stud down to a Fastenal last week... What a joke, the kid behind the counter asked ME what size it was. Then after diddling in the book for a couple of minutes actually asked me what it was for!

I said, "Dude... Its just an unequal length stud. It could be for a million things."

I ordered studs and nuts from McMaster yesterday. M6x1.0x37.5, like I listed in a previous post. I will let you all know how they compare to the stock studs.

Comment

one problem with using studs from the bolt shops that i found is that they are usually made acoording to the standards applicable for steel application, not aluminium

the oem studs are made to go into aluminium and that application requires a minimum lenght of the stud to be twice its diameter - 12mm, whereas the application for steel only requires the lenght equivalent of one stud diameter - 6mm

that picture posted above suggests that those studs have the smaller threaded part only 6.25mm (meaning, made for steel use, not aluminium)

however, sometimes the studs can be "inverted" so that the longer portion goes into the crankcase (this depends on the lenght of thread on the other side of the stud)

let us know how you go
        Last edited by psyguy; 11-01-2008, 02:32 PM.
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
          one problem with using studs from the bolt shops that i found is that they are usually made acoording to the standards applicable for steel application, not aluminium

the oem studs are made to go into aluminium and that application requires a minimum lenght of the stud to be twice its diameter - 12mm, whereas the application for steel only requires the lenght equivalent of one stud diameter - 6mm

that picture posted above suggests that those studs have the smaller threaded part only 6.25mm (meaning, made for steel use, not aluminium)

however, sometimes the studs can be "inverted" so that the longer portion goes into the crankcase (this depends on the lenght of thread on the other side of the stud)

let us know how you go
          Well thats just totally wrong, sorry. The existing studs in my bike had the short ends inserted into the aluminum. I am sure its factory suzuki stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by CB900SS View Post
            Well thats just totally wrong, sorry. The existing studs in my bike had the short ends inserted into the aluminum. I am sure its factory suzuki stuff.
            Your existing studs did, in fact, have the short ends in the aluminum, and they can be inverted so the longer end is in the aluminum as stated......not wrong at all.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

sorry if i wasnt clear

STEEL application requires the length of the stud thats embeded in the material to be the equivalent of the diameter of the stud (for an M6 stud that is 6mm length)

ALUMINIUM application requires the length of the stud thats embeded in the material to be TWICE the equivalent of the diameter of the stud (for an M6 stud that is 12mm)

if you look at the actual photo above you'll see that the stud's inner thread is indeed 12mm long

the drawing from mc-carr shows only 6.25mm inner thread length

the other (exposed) part of the stud can be of various lengths, depending on application
              GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                sorry if i wasnt clear

STEEL application requires the length of the stud thats embeded in the material to be the equivalent of the diameter of the stud (for an M6 stud that is 6mm length)

ALUMINIUM application requires the length of the stud thats embeded in the material to be TWICE the equivalent of the diameter of the stud (for an M6 stud that is 12mm)

if you look at the actual photo above you'll see that the stud's inner thread is indeed 12mm long

the drawing from mc-carr shows only 6.25mm inner thread length

the other (exposed) part of the stud can be of various lengths, depending on application
                Sorry for misunderstanding you!

You are indeed correct that the inner thread on the original stud is 10mm or 12mm long, the outer thread is 15mm long and the bolts overall length is about 35mm long.

The bolts I received from McMaster have an inner thread length of only 6.25mm.

Hopefully I can order once again and get the correct bolts this time. What a stupid ass I am.
                Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Well McMaster doesn't have the studs. But they are a great company, as I knew... I have been dealing with them for years. They refunded my money for the studs, even though it was my mistake. But they don't have the correct studs for me.

Someone said they got stainless studs from McMaster? From what I see they only make fully threaded stainless studs.

Any ideas where I can get these darn studs from? Local parts stores, along with fastenal and McMaster are N/G!

Comment

fully threaded studs would work
                    you need to seat them lightly and use locktite to lock them in
                    put a little anti-seize on the nuts and all should be fine

other than that, i doubt you would be able to find the exact oem spec studs in any bolt shop (as, as i said, they are made specifically for aluminium application)
                    GS850GT

Comment

I ended up running a die down the studs I purchased from McMaster, they look good, I will install them soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X